t h i r t y o n e

When I wake up the next day I find Carl in a cell packing some clothes and looking at a picture of his family before the turn. He stuffs it into a duffel bag and looks through his remaining things before putting on his hat and loading his things into the car. When his dad tries to speak to him he just yanks his shoulder away. 

Last night when dad and I got back we didn't need to speak for everyone to understand what had happened. Dad and I were up late into the night comforting each other after the loss of the only trace we had from the world before it turned.  I find him near Merle's bike that we'd been using since he was left behind. He's speaking to Carol. 

"You know, Merle never did nothing like that his entire life." He admits. 

"He gave us a chance." Carol tells him lending him a hand and helping him off the ground. When she walks away I grab his hand and he puts his poncho on top of me. 

"What happens now?" I ask voice shaky. 

"We fight." He tells me pulling me into his chest and holding me tight. "No matter what, you stay with Hershel okay?" 

"I promise." I say nodding. "Please be careful, I can't loose you too." 

"I promise." He says repeating after me. "I love you Cherokee." 

"I love you too daddy."

With those last words I finish loading my things into the car and Hershel drives us out into the woods. We're close to the prison but far away from the war. Only not far enough to hear a loud explosion and the gunfire thats happening. 

Carl and I lean against the car, our weapons ready in case we need to defend Judith, Beth, and Hershel, I look through the scope of my crossbow, noticing one of the watchtowers is in shambles with smoke coming out of it. 

Our home is a war zone. 

"I should be there." Carl says looking from the prison towards me. "We both should." 

"Then who the hell would protect Judith?" I snap. He's had a bad attitude all morning. 

All of a sudden a teenage boy not much older than Carl and I comes running. He skids to a stop once he hears the clicks of our weapons.

"Woah woah woah, don't shoot!" He says putting his hands up. 

"Drop the weapon son." Hershel tells him.

"Sure," He says and begins handing me his weapon. "Here, take it." 

Before it reaches my hands, Carl's gone goes off and the boys body drops to the floor. 

The ride back to the prison is silent and awkward. The only noise being Judith's coos. We meet the rest of the group in the cafeteria where I embrace my dad in a large hug.

"You're okay." I say relieved as he picks me up. 

"I'm okay." He reassures.  

"Is it finished?" I ask.

"Almost. We're going to Woodbury." 

"Be careful, please." I whisper. 

"Always." 

He leads Rick and Michonne out of the prison while Beth and Carol kill walkers piling up on our fences.

Carl sits on the metal bleachers and I make my way over to him. "Are you okay?" 

"I did what I had to do." He says walking away and into the prison. 

"He'll come around." Glenn tells me placing a hand on my shoulder. 

Night begins to fall and we head inside, I help Carol make some dinner in order to keep from thinking about my dad and the others. 

"They'll be fine." She says as if she was reading my thoughts. "They always are and your fathers tougher than a box of nails." 

"But so was Merle." I choke out. "Look where he's ended up."

"Hey," She says brushing away my hair and leading me to the bench. "Merle was alone, your dad has people to watch his back. Go get some rest kiddo, I'll come get you if they get back tonight."

They don't return that night. But early the next day while the suns still rising I hear my dads motorcycle make its way back into the prison gates. When I run outside theres new people joining us. 

"What is this?" I hear Carl ask his dad looking at people unloading from a decked out bus.

"They're gonna join us." Rick tells his son. Carl only stomps away and the rest of us welcome the newcomers into our home. Most are elderly and children. For once, life feels peaceful and almost as if theres no impending doom upon us.

We can make a better life for ourselves.

---

Word Count:771

Carl needs to get his act together smh.

I love the relationship between Cherokee and Daryl wow.

This might be my shortest chapter yet.

Hope you enjoyed!!