t h i r t y t w o

It's been a couple months since the Woodbury community joined us at the prison. Carl and I share the same cell which is nice, but our fathers are on either side of us to make sure we don't do anything stupid. 

"Carl." I say hanging my head down from the top bunk to look down at the boy. "It's probably like, three AM, put the comic books away." 

"Come on Cheri, I'm almost done with this one!" He says swatting playfully at my hair. 

"Even the walkers are probably sleeping at this point." I giggle quietly as to not disturb anyone near us. 

"Whatever I'll put it away." He says rolling his eyes playfully. "As long as you promise to never do that again, it scared the shit out of me."

"Language!" I say knowing I've said way worse before. "You talk to Judith with that mouth?" 

"I thought you wanted me to go to bed?" He says raising his eyebrow. 

"I do." 

"Then stop talking." He retorts placing a small kiss on my lips before laying down. "Goodnight Cherokee." 

"Night Carl." I say shimming myself back onto my bunk. 

When I wake up the next morning Carl is still fast asleep. He's half covered by blankets and his leg is dangling off the side of the bed. I laugh at him before changing my flannel, throwing my hair in a single braid, and grabbing my crossbow. 

I find Dad by the grill. He's speaking to Carol who's serving food. He gets hollers of 'hey daryl' the entire time.

"Morning daddy." I say placing a kiss on his cheek before turning to Carol. "Morning Carol." 

"Morning Cheri." She says handing the two of us a bowl of venison.

"Smells good." He tells Carol taking his bowl out of her hands.

"Just so you know, I liked you first." She says sarcastically. "Both of you." 

"Stop." He says picking up a piece of meat to eat. "You know, Rick brought in a lot of them, too."

"Not recently." She says tending to the meat thats cooking. "Give the stranger sanctuary, keeping people fed, you're gonna have to live with the love." 

"She's right daddy." I laugh "We're pretty popular now, mostly you considering someone rarely lets me leave the prison anymore."

"With that attitude, you'll never be allowed to leave again." He says raising his eyebrow and smacking my shoulder. 

"and then you'll just have to deal with all the love by yourself." I say with a wide smile brushing my braid off of my shoulder and giving him a side hug. "It wouldn't be distributed amongst the two of us." 

"Mhmm." He grunts. 

"I need you to see something, " Carol says to dad. "Patrick, you want to take over?"

"Yes ma'am." He says. 

Patrick is a tall lanky awkward boy. He seems to be well kept and my guess is that he's never had to survive out on the road before. Him and Carl have become friends with each other but I barely know the kid. I get along with the adults way more than I do the kids here. We turn to leave but he speaks up and we stop. 

"Mr. Dixon," He starts and I hold back a snort. Mr, is way too formal for my father. "I just wanted to thank you for bringing that deer back yesterday. It was a real treat, sir."

He turns to Carol who smiles in an 'I told you so' type of way. I nudge his side and he turns back to Patrick who continues talking.

"and I'd be honored to shake your hand."