f o u r t y f i v e

When we wake up, we're immediately on the move. Rick leads the way, the rest of us follow behind him. For the most part, our trek is a quiet one. Dad and I follow Michonne and Carl, who take out the occasional walker when needed. 

We don't stop until the sun sets. We've been doing that a lot lately. Carl and I huddle close near the campfire. I hold Judith in my arms protectively, rocking the young girl to sleep. 

"You're good with her." Carl mumbles placing a kiss on my head. 

"I always wanted a younger sibling or cousin." I admit shrugging my shoulders looking at Judith's little face. "But, that never happened."

Rick walks up to the two of us and gently takes the girl out of my arms. He mutters a thank you and I nod before scooting closer to Carl. My dad and Carol are a little ways off, speaking quietly to each other. All of a sudden I watch dad stand up as leaves crackle and a twig snaps. He brushes it off as nothing and I do the same, letting my guard fall. 

"What's wrong?" Carl asks me. 

"Nothing," I tell him wrapping our blanket over our shoulders. "Let's just get some sleep."

---

Once again, the next morning we're on the move. What are we even looking for at this point? It seem's like it's just endless walking in circles. The leaves rustle and all at once, our weapons are up. Only there's no need to use them because it's my dad coming back with a few squirrels. How did I not notice he was gone?

"We surrender." He says jokingly putting his hands up. After we calm down he moves towards Rick and the two talk quietly. Rick whistles and gestures at all of us. 

"Keep close." He says. 

"Ready to get some concrete under your feet?" Abraham asks. 

"I think it's time." Rick tells him as we follow my dad. Carl's right by my side. 

"That is sweet music to my ears Officer" The red head tells our leader. "Take the next road we come to, try to get back to going North till we find a vehicle. Good?"

"Good" Rick agrees before gesturing for Glenn and Tara to get closer. 

As we continue our trek through the woods, listening to Bob and Sasha play a little game, we hear yells. They come from a man as he screams for someone to help. 

"Dad, come on!" Carl says looking at Rick. "Come on!" 

Reluctantly, Rick looks around before nodding to his son who is desperate to help. We run towards then cries. At the source, a man is screaming on top of a Rock while being attacked by walkers. 

One by one, we kill the walkers and once that's finished the man looks around trembling. He's a priest. 

"We're clear," Rick tells us. "Keep watch."

He urges the man down and only seconds later he vomits  onto the floor. When he's done, the man looks up at us sheepishly. "Sorry."

"I'm Gabriel." He tells us, regaining his composure.

"Do you have any weapons on you?" Rick asks getting straight to the point. 

"Do I look like I would have any weapons?" He laughs nervously. 

"We don't give two short and curls what it looks like." Abraham speaks up from behind Carl and I.

"I have no weapons of any kind." He says and I widen my eyes. How can you not have weapons, in the apocalypse? "The word of God is the only protection I need."