chapter 25 - relief or disappointment?

I sat down on the couch and put my face in my hands. Austin is probably going to break up with me. I'm going to have to go back to Texas. My eyes fell to my wrists.

Still scared from the lost battles.

I scanned the room.

My razor was in the bathroom and Austin was locked in there.

I sighed.

Relief or disappointment?

I heard the door open and I stood. Austin walked out. I saw he had tears dried on his cheeks.

My heart sank.

I reached for his arm
"Austin I-"

He dodged my hand and went into the kitchen.

I looked at the open bedroom door.
I looked at the kitchen.

Slowly I crept into the bathroom and shut the door.

"Okay where did I put it..?" I whispered to myself.

I hadn't cut in so long. I was proud. I know Austin was. But I can't take it.

I opened my drawer and I saw my razor but there was a piece of notebook paper under it.

"Stay strong. Even when it feels like everything is falling apart.."

In Austin's handwriting.

I sat on the floor and cried. I just let it all out. I was sobbing.

I looked at the note.
The the razor.

I set the note on the counter and looked back at the razor.

I whipped my eyes and slashed my wrists. Several times. I watched myself bleed. I regretted it a little but in a way I felt better.

"Keller?" Austin knocked.

Shit.

I reached for a towel but he walked in.

"Oh my god.." he stuttered.

"Austin get out."

He took off his shirt and held my arms.

I hung my head and cried.

"Keller I'm so sorry."
"Stop."

A tear fell from his eyes.

"I am so sorry. I didn't know Zach was going to kiss me. I love you. And I don't want to mess anything up and I did and I just can't take it."

"Keller I wasn't mad at you."
"But-"
"Shh."

His white now red shirt still on my arms. His eyes on me. My eyes on the floor.

"C'mon lets clean you up."

He helped me up and he walked me to the kitchen.

"I'm really sorry."
"Keller stop. I'm not mad at you."
"So.. What happened with your last girlfriend?"

He sighed and continued wrapping up my wrists.

"Well I was dating this girl and she was kinda slutty but anyways we were going to a party and I was meeting her and the guys there. So I got there and I walked to the back and Zach was kissing her. I have never felt so betrayed. Until today. I had even said to Zach that you were really important to me and he said he wasn't going to do anything. So just knowing he did it again really hurt. That's why I reacted the way I did. Now I just feel terrible because you did this."

"Austin I didn't know. And this isn't your fault. It's mine. I'm the culprit."

After he bandaged up my wrists he kissed them.

"Please stay strong. I will always love you."
"I hope so."