Chapter 4.

"Brittni, honey, Nathan is here to take you to school," my mothers soft voice shakes me from a night of restlessness.

To anyone else, her voice would sound caring and sweet, but I know exactly how her soft voice sounds when she yells and swears.

"I know," I sit up, letting her hand fall mid way to my hair. "Tell him I'll be ready in five minutes."

I don't give her a chance to agree when I grab whatever I see in my closet first and head to my bathroom.

The washed jeans make me itch, but I'm not going back out to my room to change. Though, the grey hoodie seems to give me that sense of comfort I need. I throw my hair into a messy bun, wash my face and walk out to my bedroom to grab my back pack.

Like I expected, my mother is still sitting on my bed with a thoughtful expression on her face.

She watches me grab my bag and put on my shoes, making me feel really nervous under her gaze.

"I'll be back late tonight, I have a business meeting," she finally speaks when I'm about to walk out the door. No doubt it's been more than five minutes, but I'm not planning to have a whole conversation with her.

"A business meeting?" I nod with a raised eyebrow. "You mean, a hook up with your boss?"

"Brittni!" Standing up with a murderous expression is the mother I know all to well.

"What? You don't have to lie to me anymore, mom, I'm old enough to piece the puzzle together," I smile. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be heading off to school."

"Brittni Lane! Do not walk out that door!"

"Shut up!" I yell back, pushing the screen door open and letting it hit against the outer brick wall. I'm surprised it didn't break.

Her yells follow me as I make my way to Nathan, even closing the door can't block out her raging words.

My mom is a horrible person. I learned that a couple years ago when I found out why my dad actually left. Before that, my mom told me that my dad couldn't handle a family, but when I went to talk to him two years ago, he explained everything to me.

Supposedly, my parents met in high school, she was the rich little princess everyone wanted to be with. My dad was a middle class, normal guy. He said they were in love, but as they got older he started to think that she was only with him to he rebellious against her multi millionaire dad who expected her to marry a rich man of his choosing.

He let it go when they got married, thought he was being crazy, but one day when I was eight years old he saw her in their bed with her boss who was - of course - rich.

It was all down fall from there. My dad moved to New Jersey found a girl and now has two more kids. I was granted Primary Custody to my mom and she's been with a new guy every week ever since then. Yay.

"How you doing?" Nathan asks, placing a hand on my thigh as we drive.

"Good. Just a little tired," I try smiling to prove my point, but it comes out more as a grimace.

"That sucks, how was driving home with Jackson?" He asks with a teasing smile because he knows just how much I hate my best friends brother.

"I don't even want to think about it."

Nathan laughs, but I don't find it funny.

The events of last night still play in my mind as a reminder who I resemble. I don't want to be anything close to my mom. Plain and simple. But Jackson's last parting words make a piece of my heart shatter. Maybe he's right, I probably don't deserve any compassion or love, but that doesn't mean I can't want it.