Chapter 27.

"You sure you don't want to come over?" Jackson pouts making me feel worse than I already do.

"I wish I could," I stick out my bottom lip, lying through my teeth. "But I need to get some homework done."

"You and I can work on it together," he smirks. "At my house. On my bed."

I roll my eyes, pecking his lips once. "We both know that won't happen."

He chuckles, pressing his lips to mine in a short, sweet kiss. I pull back, smiling at him.

"I'll call you later, okay?" He nods, looking disappointed when I get out of the car.

I take a deep breath of fresh air, knowing my mother is home today and that in under an hour I'll be meeting with the guy that makes appearances in my nightmares. Is this a good idea? Of course not. Do I need to do it? Hell yes.

I open the door to my house, smelling cinnamon from the wax burner that I usually turn on.

When my dad was here, my mother loved wax burners. She got tons and tons of them for holidays and she would burn them every day. When he left, so did the candles. I found them about a year ago and started using them knowing my mother wouldn't notice.

"Brittni?" I turn my head, eyeing my mothers standing figure. She's dressed in comfortable clothing, not a trace of make up on her face. She's always been so beautiful without it.

"Yeah?" I look at her in boredom.

"Can we talk?" She looks nervous, very. It's rare when I ever see her have another emotion besides anger and exhaustion.

"I don't think that's a good idea." If I decide to talk to her, it'll no doubt blow up into a huge fight. And right now, I have too much on my plate for a petty cat fight with the woman who gave birth to me.

She looks up at the ceiling for a second, her body language expressing sadness. Why would she be sad? It can't be because of the way she's treated me this past year. Or the neglecting.

"Please," she begs. "Please, Brittni. I just want to talk. One on one."

I let out a deep breath, looking towards the ceiling as if it will tell me what to do next. It doesn't, but I know that I need to talk to her. Even if I don't want to hear what she has to say, I'd feel bad if I just left.

"Okay," I mutter, setting my bag down before taking a seat on the couch. My mother is on the opposite love seat, her stance rigid. "Are you alright?"

"I - It's just," she stops to take a breath. "I don't like the way things were left with us."

I want to roll my eyes, but I nod making her continue.

"I know I haven't been the best mom this past-"

"You haven't been a mom," I correct her. I see her eyes widen in disbelief at my words. "I've been on my own for the last couple of years."

"I know," she sighs. "And I'm sorry about that. Since your dad left - it's been hard."

"You cheated on him," I state angrily. The tears that fill her eyes is something that I haven't seen in a while and I'm starting to wonder what's really going on.

"I know," she nods. "I know, Brittni, but I loved him. So much, and it scared me. I still doc but I felt trapped, and I did the one thing that I thought would make it better.
There's parts of the story you haven't heard and I want to clear them up."

Do I really want to hear? I mean, how do I know she's not lying? How do I know she's spitting out lies for her own sake?

"I want to know."