Chapter 26.

I'm nervous right now. So nervous. I can't go longer than two seconds without wiping my sweaty palms on my jeans. I know Jackson keeps glancing at me like I'm crazy, and I can't blame him. I may just be. It's taken me three days to work up enough courage to finally put my plan into action, and I'd rather die than back out now.

Jackson and Brinley have been trying the best they can to get some information, but they're running out of options. Even Nathan's friends don't know much about him. Not to mention his cousin, Adam seems to not know anything. No past records for being crazy.

I think that's when I set my mind on this little idea. Nathan isn't stupid, but he's pretty set on getting me into bed. If I promise him something close to that, by talking and hanging out, I could possibly dig a little deeper into his past.

Thursday. That's what day it is, tomorrow will be Friday, another football game. That also means that the boys will be even harder to approach. I need this thing to occur today if I want it to work.

The only downside, Jackson can't know. No one can, especially not him. Nikki, Colten, Brinley and now Jackson need to be out of this mess. I'm the cause of all this and I need to be the one to finish it.

"Are you sure you're okay, baby?" Jackson breaks away my thoughts, his car stopping at a red light. Say something!

"Yeah," I smile, trying not to show just how nervous I am. "I have a big test today is all."

Lies! You expect honesty out of Jackson and you're doing the exact opposite!

My face falls. That's so true. Dammit. As much as I want to stop, I can't. This is going to help out everyone, not just me. Jackson will be out of this fire and so will Brinley, but the only way to shut it down is for me to step up.

"You'll do great," he smiles, placing his hand on my thigh. Keep it there. "You always do."

I smile slightly, pecking his cheek before he starts moving at the green light. I feel so guilty about this. I need to do it, though. I need to. It is not an option.

Pulling up to the school, I'm about to get out when jackson grabs my arm. I turn to him with a questioning look, his eyes are sad. I don't know why, but I'm hoping to find out.

"Jackson?"

"Come here." There's something about when a guy says these words, it's a mixture between demanding and gentle. So, I swing my leg over his lap, straddling his body. Our faces are so close and I just want to kiss away all the worried lines on his face. They shouldn't be there.

"What's wrong?" I run my hand through his hair. He lets out a gentle breath, closing his eyes for a few seconds. I'm worried he won't open them, but when the bright blue iris's are shown again, I nearly sigh in relief. "Jackson..."

"I feel like I'm failing you," he confesses. I tilt my head to the side, confusion threatening to take over.

"With what?" I gently resound.

"This whole Nathan thing." My face falls in disappointment and he lets out a breath, frustrated. "Don't look at me like that."

"I don't know how I'm supposed to respond," I admit. "I keep telling you that you don't need to do-"

"Don't," he warns, voice stern making me immediately stop.

"Jackson, please," I whimper. "Stop putting yourself through this."

Jackson has been tired. Exhausted. He's been working to hard on this and it's taking its tole. I want him to stop fighting my battles.

"I'm doing this for you, Brittni," he says softly. "All for you. Let me."