Chapter 4: Categories

Categories, abstract noun.
The imaginary boxes that you create in your head, and when you meet a new person, you unconsciously gather information about them until you have enough to know which box they fit into. That's how you know you've met someone important - when they don't fit into any of the boxes you've got already.

Chapter four: Categories

I headed upstairs to Simon's room, and went in.

"Knock, gees," he stated sarcastically.

He was lying on his bed on his phone. I rolled my eyes.

"Door was wide open, idiot." I sat in his chair, and took a slice of pizza. "Are you gonna record?"

"Can't," he said lazily, putting his phone down and looking at me. "Someone's in my chair."

"Why are you so lazy?" I asked. "Come on, you have no excuse. You didn't just get off a hella long flight."

"Can you pull me up?" He whined, putting out his hands like a three year old.

I laughed, and grabbed his hands, and pulled. He rolled sideways onto the floor and pulled me down on top of him. We sat up, laughing, and looked at each other.

"See? You're too tall!" I complained.

"Nah, you're just weak," he laughed.

"Hey, I am a cheerleader and I play basketball, I am not weak."

"Do you reckon you'll play here?" He asked.

"I don't know," I stated. "They're both American sports so I was gonna join a soccer team here, and leave basketball and cheer until I move to Texas."

"You mean football," he stated.

"No, I said soccer, and I meant soccer," I replied, laughing. "We have AFL in Australia, Australian football league, which you play with a different ball, different goals, different field, and tackling, soccer is with a round ball with patches on it, and whilst I'll admit it's a better game, it's definitely not called football."

Simon laughed.

"How long did it take you to figure out that argument?"

"I'm just stating the facts," I smirked. "You know it's true."

"Whatever Jord," he smiled.

I watched as he stood up, and went over to his desk. He turned the Xbox on, and loaded GTA. I stood up also, and sat on his bed tiredly.

"I was gonna watch you play, but don't be surprised if I crash, I'm running on limited sleep at the moment."

"It's cool," he nodded, turning to look at me. "Want me to wake you up when Freya and Emily get here, or..."

"Nah, I'll just sleep," I responded. "Feel free to push me on the floor if you want your bed though, I doubt if I'll even wake up."

Simon laughed.

"Oh, it's like that is it," he said. "Okay. Well there's a spare blanket in my cupboard if you need it. Sleep well."

"Thanks, I will," I smiled.

I went over to his cupboard and found the spare blanket. Then I grabbed a few more slices of pizza, and sat watching Simon play as I ate them. It was GTA, so I didn't need to worry about staying out of the face cam, which was good. Didn't want any of Simon's fans questioning why he had Lachlan's little sister sleeping on his bed, even if we were just close friends, with the same sense of humour. Which was all it was between us.