Chapter 76: Earning the Rings

Exist, verb.
To exist is to simply be. Sometimes that is all you need to do to be happy. Find someone to exist with, and exist next to each other.

Chapter seventy six: Earning the Rings
"In second place," began the announcer. He paused, holding us all in suspense. "From Miami Florida, we have Top Gun Allstars IOC-6!"
Top Gun rose, as everybody cheered for them, whilst they collected their medals, and took a photo with their banner. Knowing the verdict now, our excitement was barely containable, as the announcer continued.
"And our champions for Level 6 open Coed, from Ventura California, are the California Allstars Reckless!"

We squealed with excitement, and I jumped up, and tackled Meah in a hug, as she screamed,
"WE DID IT, WE WON, JORDY! HELL YEAH!"
"I DON'T THINK I'LL EVER STOP SCREAMING!" I yelled back.
Eddie and Orby joined us on stage, and everybody flew to hug them as well. Both of them were literally crying.
"I'm so proud of you guys!" Eddie told us, through his tears. "I knew you could do it!"
"No, thank you, thank you so much for all your hard work!" I returned, and the others joined in, only making Eddie and Orby cry more, and everybody else cry too. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been so happy. We collected our medals, and rings, and positioned ourselves to take a photo with the worlds trophy. Everyone wanted to take their own photos with the trophy as well, and the stage became a mosh pit of overjoyed Reckless team members. I finally turned to the crowd, my eyes searching until I finally spotted Simon. I held my medal up to him, and mouthed 'Love you.' He made a heart shape with his hands, and I grinned happily, wiping away tears of joy. Accomplishing my dream was one of the greatest feelings in the world, and one I knew I would hold onto forever.

I dragged my toes lazily through the warm water of the Hawaiian ocean, and kicked water at Simon, who was seated on the jetty beside me.
"Hey," he protested, laughing lightly. I laughed too, and rested my head on his shoulder, feeling his arm gripping my waist tightly, as if he were afraid I might fall into the water.
"This week's been amazing, hasn't it," said Simon.
"I know," I nodded. "I don't want to go home."
"Don't lie," he chuckled, "Because I know you're dying to get back there."
"Hey, that was before we came to Hawaii," I retorted. "I could do another week here, I think."
"Well unfortunately for you, time marches on, in this busy YouTube world of ours."
"At least we still have Chris and Anya's date to set up this evening," I said. "I think I'm more excited than Anya is."
"Well, considering she doesn't even know about it yet, that's hardly surprising," he laughed.
"Oh right, I totally forgot about that," I said. "Do you think she'll say yes to him?"
"She better, after we've gone to all this trouble to get them together. Looking from the outside, romantic couples are cute, but I wouldn't want to be one."
"My thoughts exactly," I laughed. "They're so cute though. But they got so close, so quickly, what happened whilst I was gone?"
"I told you, nothing much," Simon smiled at me. "They just spent practically every second together, they literally talk about football incessantly, and when they're not doing that they're playing Fifa or IRL football. I have no idea how they're gonna survive when Chris goes back to Jersey."
"Doesn't he want to move over to England too?"
"Yeah," Simon nodded. "I think he's gonna do three and three, kinda like Lachlan does, going between Australia and America. Three months home, three months in the house with us. It's going to be fun having them around."
"Well, we survived six months long distance, I'm sure three won't kill them," I chuckled.
"We did," he nodded. "I'm so proud of you, y'know." He picked up my hand, and fiddled with my worlds ring, which I still wore on my finger. "Did you find yourself, Jordy?"
"How did you know?" I asked him, in surprise. We'd never spoken about my internal struggle with my identity.
"I think I know you well enough now to understand your turbulent mind," he said. "You're such a list of contrasts, you wanted a home, but you insisted on running around the world like a nomad. You want to spend all of your time with our friends, but at the same time would rather spend it all in our own little world. You want to play football, and basketball, and cheerleading 24/7, but you also want to play video games until you physically can't continue. And I've loved every second of the spontaneity, but I think lately, you've been more assertive with your decisions, and it's like you've finally made sense of your own mind, and it's been kinda beautiful to watch."
"Yes, but don't you get it, Simon?" I smiled at his little speech. "That's all because of you, you helped me to understand life. I'm so unbelievably thankful to have you."
Simon bent his head, and pressed his lips gently to mine. I kissed him back slowly, resting a hand on his chest, whilst my other was still holding Simon's.
"I like that we both wear rings now," Simon chuckled against my skin.
"Mine's cooler than yours," I smirked.
"To be fair, you earned yours," he said. "Maybe one day I'll get us both another one, that we've both earned."
I felt my skin heating up at his words, and I smiled uncontrollably.
"I'd like that, I think."

In that moment, both of us were perfectly happy. In a few minutes, we'd have to leave the peace of the jetty, and go and help Chris, Tobi and a few others set up for Chris and Anya's date, which was going to be a candle lit dinner on the beach. But right now, it felt like we had all the time in the world, not to do anything in particular, but to simply exist next to each other.