Chapter 12: Basketball

It's tired, I'm late, adjective phrase.
Okay, I'll admit I should be in bed. But that doesn't mean I'm going. It's just my excuse for my body malfunctioning.

Chapter twelve: Basketball

"Josh, where the hell are we?" I asked.

We were walking into a car park, and up ahead was what looked like a fenced off area, lit by floodlights. I stopped short.

"Is that what I think it is?"

Josh only grinned. We went though the gate, and there was a basketball court.

"I thought we could play," shrugged Josh. He glanced at Simon. "Jordy played our game today, guess it's our turn to play hers." He pointed to a building to one side of the court. "There's balls in the bins over there," he stated.

I was still looking at him in amazement.

"Thanks Josh," I grinned. "This is amazing! Come on."

I grabbed Simon's arm, which had dropped from my waist, and pulled him towards the building. Josh followed us, looking pleased with himself. I dug a basketball out of the bin, and held it in my hands almost reverently.

"It's only been a few months," I said, "but it feels like years."

I glanced up to meet Simon's gaze. He smiled at me.

"Well, go on," he said. "Have a shot, mate."

We messed around on the court for quite a long time. At one point we had an actual game going, 1v1v1. I could easily take the ball from Josh, despite his slight height advantage on me, but with Simon I had no chance until he actually started to dribble, which he was pretty terrible at. This meant the game developed into Simon v The World. Josh gave me a piggy back ride so we were taller, and I was able to knock the ball from Simon's hands. Inevitably, the ball went over the fence, and Josh ran to get it.

"Well, I'm definitely not cold now," I said, sitting down on the court.

"Just a bit tired, right?" Replied Simon.

He sat down with me, turned so we were back to back, and leaned on me.

"So as you still joining a football team, or you changed your mind now?"

"No I think I'll still go with it, I mean I miss basketball a tonne, but it becomes a literal energy vacuum for me, and I came here because I wanted to spend time with my friends. I love soccer too, but it's not really a passion for me, you know? I can do it on the side without it consuming my whole existence."

"You've really thought this all through, hey," he said, smiling.

"Sorry, was I rambling again?" I sighed.

"Just a bit," he laughed. "Why's that?"

"You had that smile that you do," I said.

"My back is facing you, you can't even see my face idiot," he laughed. "What do you mean?" (A/N: MUST. NOT. SING IT.)

"I could hear it in your voice," I explained.

"Aw, I love your rambling," he said. "Your mind comes up with some weird and wonderful things, I sometimes think I'm privileged to hear it."

"Sorry," I laughed. "You seem to end up with all the stuff in my head that I don't tell anyone else. But I guess you're my closest friend, Simon. I know you'll get me if I tell things to you."

"Hm, I know what you mean," he smiled. "I get you Jordy. I get you." We both laughed.

At this point, Josh re-entered the court, and wandered over, throwing the ball up, and catching it in his hands. Simon and I stood up, and we began to play again. However, it wasn't long before it had gone over once more, after Simon decided to punch the ball away from me.

"You're getting that one," smirked Josh.

"I think the fence is too short," Simon complained, as he headed towards the dark bushes outside the fence to look for the ball.

"Nah, I think your playing's just terrible," I yelled after him.

He rolled his eyes, and disappeared out the gate. Josh and I sat down together to wait until he came back. Josh was grinning away to himself.

"What's that grin for?" I asked him.

He shook his head, smiling.

"You two," he stated. "I'm really starting to think you've got it bad for each other."

I glared at him.

"Leave it, Josh," I stated. "We're really close friends, that's all. Anyway, you know my brother would murder both of us if anything happened."

"I'm surprised he's not here now, to be honest," smiled Josh ruefully.

Josh was the only one who really knew what happened that day at Gamescom a few years ago, as he was there. I hadn't even told Simon or the girls - it honestly hurt to talk about it. They knew simply that somebody that we all knew well had done something bad to me. And until my brother could get over the fact that I'd grown up since then, it was going to be a current problem.

"What made you decide to come here without Lachlan?" Asked Josh. "I mean, you never used to go anywhere without him."

I sighed.

"Guess I'm just trying to prove to him and to myself that I can make my own decisions, and be my own person. Sure, I've done stupid things in the past, but I'm not sixteen anymore."

"Man wanna take me for some little boy!" Grinned Josh. "Or girl, I guess."

"One peng got the whole country on the edge of their seats!" I yelled.

"I heard my favourite song!" Yelled Simon, appearing at the fence gate again, ball in hand.

He came over, and sat down again with us.

"It was just coz Jordy said 'I'm not sixteen anymore'," grinned Josh. "We had to sing it."

"Is this about Lachlan, by any chance?" Asked Simon, looking at me.

I nodded. He rolled his eyes.

"How did I guess? He needs to chill, you're fine over here, we're not axe murderers."

"I wish it was that simple," I sighed, smiling at his words.

"Tell me what happened?" He asked.

"No, it hurts," I said.

He was quiet for a moment.

"Well, you're going to tell me at some stage."

"Am I?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Okay."

He just stared at me for a moment, before we both burst out laughing.

"How was any of that even remotely funny?" Smiled Josh, shaking his head at us.

"I don't know," laughed Simon. "It's tired, I'm late."

"Maybe we should head back," I said, clicking my phone on to show the time. "It's half two."

"Is it really?" Exclaimed Josh. "Wow, we've been here for ages."

We all stood up, and Simon returned the ball to the bin. Then we started the walk back home.