Chapter 22: Of Coffee, Makeup, and Heels

Compliments, abstract noun.
There has always been an unwritten rule about giving compliments. Some words can be given casually, some always have deep meanings. That's all I'm gonna say.

Chapter twenty two: Of Coffee, Makeup, and Heels
Once I was done, I found Freya outside, still talking.
"It's Em, she's at Starbucks ordering now, what do you want?"
"Don't really care," I shrugged. "Lucky dip, but no caramel, Em." Freya repeated my order through the phone, before hanging up.
"You must be the only person I know who doesn't have a standard Starbucks order," commented Freya, pocketing her phone.
"Well, I've been to the place like five times in my life," I said. "There's no Starbucks where I come from."
"Ah, that's right," nodded Freya. "What a sad country Australia is."
"We have real coffee, instead of Starbucks," I countered.
"Starbucks is pretty good," she replied. "Well, Em's waiting, so let's get going."

We met up with Emily at Starbucks, and sat drinking our coffees, and talking for a while. Freya had my dress approved by Em, and showed off her own black dress as well.
"Damn, you girls are gonna look gorgeous," she smiled. "Aw, I wanna get all dressed up now too!"
"We need to find you a man, miss Emily," I stated.
"Was that an admission that you already have one?" She replied, smirking.
"I don't need one, I wasn't the one just complaining I was lonely," I laughed.
"Hey, I can get dressed up and go partying without a guy," she retorted. "I just can't go on a date without a guy. You, miss Jordyn, are going on a date. Wake up girl, you like each other." I resisted the urge to say 'I know', and rolled my eyes at her playfully.
"We're going on a best friend's date, Em," I said. "Are we allowed to do that?" Emily sighed.
"Watch them like a hawk, Freya, and report back to me."
"Yes sir," said Freya, in amusement. I knew Freya believed me when I told her that I didn't like Simon like that, but then she wasn't the type to carefully watch everybody, she generally took things as they came. Emily always paid careful attention to the people around her, and as she was of a more quiet and meditative disposition, she took the time to do so. She was calling me out on my bluff, and she was right. But much like with Josh earlier in the day, I wasn't prepared to admit this to her. I was never any good at speaking about my emotions, I just hoped that would come with time.

Josh and Simon between them booked a fancy restaurant, and Simon told me about it, despite Josh telling him to keep it a surprise. I was happy with that, Simon knew I genuinely hated surprises, even nice ones. The restaurant seemed really nice though. I was waiting for Freya, as she spent considerable time trying to convince me that 'fancy' meant I needed makeup and heels, (an effort which I steadily resisted) before actually going to get ready herself. I never wore more than a little foundation, and occasionally eye makeup, partly because I hated the feeling of it on my face, and partly because I didn't believe that any girl needed it to look better. Guys don't wear makeup, and we can accept their faces the way they are, so why not girls? And as far as heels go, I hated the idea of being forced to take extra care when I was walking for the sake of being taller, and making my legs look longer.
"I will never understand how we are friends as long as I live," sighed Freya dramatically.
"Me neither," I laughed. "But it's not like I don't care or anything, my wearing any makeup in the first place equals putting a lot of effort into my appearance."
"Who you tryna impress, huh?" She giggled.
"Nobody," I stated. "I don't need to impress anyone."
"No, because Simon already thinks the world of you so makeup ain't gonna do any more," she giggled.
"Oh shut up," I rolled my eyes. "You know perfectly well that never even occurred to me." She smiled.
"Well, that's where you and I are different. This is why most of your friends are guys, because you think like a guy, I swear." I snorted.
"Whatever. I can't be bothered to disagree with you. You've got twenty minutes to do your own makeup, so go do it, and leave me alone."
"Okay," she smiled. "You know, I have to admit I admire you for that, I feel insecure about leaving the house without makeup on, it's almost sad."
"Hey, don't beat yourself up," I replied. "I'm the weird one here. Now go, or the guys will be here!"

I answered the door when the boys got here, and Josh entered.
"Hey Jord," he grinned. "You look gorgeous. Where's Freya?"
"I think she's nearly ready," I said. "You can go haul her out of the bathroom if you like. Just bang on the door."
"I might do that," he nodded. "Simon dropped his phone under the car seat, so I left him digging it out. He'll be in in a minute." Sure enough, as Josh left the room in search of his girlfriend, the front door opened, and Simon entered.
"Damn, I've never seen you so dressed up in all your life," I smiled, not hiding the fact that I was checking him out. He did look handsome, but then, when did he not?
"I might say the same for you," he laughed, closing the door behind him. I hugged him, and he kissed my forehead gently.
"You look beautiful," he murmured in my ear. I looked up at him to see his blue eyes shining brightly. "I'm lucky," he added. I smiled.
"Not yet Simon, not yet. And I'm pretty sure I'll be the lucky one."
"You?" He questioned.
"Um, did you not check the mirror before leaving the house?" I asked, grabbing his hand, and pulling him towards the hallway, where there was a full length mirror. "You look amazing." I looked at us in the reflection in the mirror. We seemed to fit together like two pieces of a puzzle, as if there was never a time when there was no 'Simon and Jordyn'. I knew there had been, of course, but perhaps it seemed so long ago that it was insignificant.
"You looked beautiful before, but you look better right there," said Simon, indicating to his arm around my waist. I smiled shyly at him through the mirror. I reached up, and kissed him on the cheek.
"Come on," I said. "We should get going."

A/N: hope you liked it, comment if you enjoyed :)
K thnx Bai <3