Chapter 12: This Is It

The group was in the Villaraza dining room in their normal position. The table is a huge and long rectangular table. Vicente was at the head of the table, Marco to his right and Mike on his left. Miguel was beside Marco and Sam was beside Mike. And Kiefer was at the end of the table facing Vicente.

The maids were starting to serve the food.  When the maid said that everything was on the table, everybody started eating.Vicente started the conversation.

"Kiefer, I heard from the boys that you've been spending a lot of time with our Princess." Vicente said with a monotonous tone. 

Kiefer looked so tensed and nervous. He could hardly slice the steak on his plate. He swallowed. "Yes sir. These past few weeks Sam and I had been spending time together."

"Daddy" Sam tried to interrupt but she was repremanded by Marco. "Samantha, Dad and Kiefer are talking. Don't be rude. Don't just butted in. Wait until you're invited to the conversation."

Sam just focused her attention to the food but continued to listen to the conversation just like her brothers. 

"Ah. And you were doing?" Vicente asked. His voice was calm but Kiefer can't help himself from feeling nervous. 

Kiefer looked at Sam before he answered. "Uhm, last week sir, I helped Sam with her relief operations for the flood victims. There was time din po na Sam watched my game. There are times din naman po, I asked her to eat lunch and breakfast with me." Kiefer said. 

Vicente looked a little confused and focused his attention to his daughter. The brothers also had questioning looks on their faces.

"Breakfast? You don't eat breakfast princess," he said to his daughter.

"Before Dad. Kiefer here started sending me food every morning. Yesterday he went to La Salle to personally deliver my breakfast." Sam said to her father.

"Kiefer, enlighten me. Why are you doing this? Do we look like we can't afford to feed Sam? Don't get me wrong I'm just curious." Vicente said, still calm.

"No sir, I mean no harm sir. I just want Sam to eat breakfast po. I believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day sir."

Vicente's face seem to twitched. His serious face turned into something deifferent, something lighter. "Thanks for caring for our princess." And Vicente smiled.

When Vicente smiled, the stiff and tensed atmosphere lightened, even the older brothers seemed to relax. Then suddenly everybody had their small talks. Kiefer also felt a little relaxed and could decently eat his food. Sam was talking to him. 

"Kiefer," Viecente called. "Tell me something about yourself ijo."

"What do you want to know po ba sir?" Kiefer asked.

"What were you're parents doing? What your family name nga?"

"Ravena po sir. My dad is an ex-basketball player and now a businessman. He has a basketball clinic. He also has his own company po. My mom naman sir is an ex-volleyball player. Sometimes po she's a commentator po sa mga games sa UAAP." Kiefer

"Is your dad Bong Ravena?" Vicente questioned. "Uh-ha dad, the Bong Ravena is Kiefer's dad." Miguel answered for Kiefer.

"Really?" Vicente's eyes widened. Sam gave Kiefer a knowing smile. "That's why you look familiar. I'm a fan. Or rather, my late wife was definitely a fan of your father." 

"Daddy oh, Fanboy," Sam commented. Everyone laughed at Sam's comment.

"Haha. I and my wife had a lot of memories watching the Bong Ravena's games. My wife was definitely a basketball fan. NBA, PBA, and other leagues, name it. And her favorite PBA/Filipino basketball player was your dad, Kiefer. She would drag me to games of Bong Ravena." Vicente reminisced.