Chapter 40: The Beginning

Sam

I asked for another day to be with Kiefer, begged actually. I don’t know what’s going to happen when they take him out of coma but one thing’s for sure, it scares me to death, figuratively and literally.

It took a lot of persuasion and tears until Tito Bong spared another day for me and Kiefer.

“Sam, we have to respect Kiefer’s parents’ decision,” Kuya Mike said trying to convince me.

“Tito, please. One last day,” I looked at Tito Bong ignoring Kuya Mike.

Tears are welling up my eyes again. I looked at Kiefer’s parents like my life is depending on that last chance they are giving me.

“Sweetie, please don’t do that,” Kuya Marco said as he took me by my arm gently.

Kuya Marco is trying to pull me out of the room. My brothers want me out cause every time I speak up Kiefer’s family end up in tears.

“Ijo let her stay,” Tito Bong started.

He looked at his wife, their eyes met, as if they were having a conversation. I caught Tita Mozzy squeezed her husband’s arm and look at him like she’s approving something. Tito Bong nodded and turned to me.

“Sam, ija, we understand how are you feeling right now. We also don’t want to let him go. He’s our son, but this is the only way.” Tito calmly said.

He stopped for a moment trying to look for the right words to say to his son’s love. I waited patiently for him to continue what he’s going to say.

“I know Kiefer loves you so much and he would want to be with you.” He took another quick pause to look at his wife then turned to me.

“We’ll postpone the surgery for another day.”

After he said that, I felt a ray of light. I launched myself to give my Kiefers’ parents a big hug, enveloping them both in my not very long arms.

“Thank you po. I will try my best to wake him up.“ I said whispered to them.

“Thank you Sam,” Tita Mozzy’s said in her tiny voice.

Everybody hugged me tight before they left the room. The others let Kiefer and me alone in his hospital room. I finally made them say yes for my one day with Kiefer.

 I looked at the love of my life for the nth time longingly. I guess I would never ever get tired of looking at him every single day of my life. I slowly reached for his hand and caressed it gently like how my parents used to do for me to lull me to sleep.

Then a thought came to my mind. I tried to verbalize my thought into a story for Kiefer.

“Kief, I can only remember her face through pictures and my dad’s stories. I saw how beautiful and radiant she was, only in pictures. I knew how kind-hearted she was, only through stories. I have no first-hand memory of her. Except one.” I said as I let the first tear of the moment fell on my cheek.

 “There’s only one thing that I can remember about my Mom. Her touch. The way she touched make me feel I’m in the safest place in the world. She also did that, she would hold me when I’m scared, heal my wounds with her hand, and wipe my tears with her finger,” I continued.

“On that day, I was so scared the car was like flying and daddy can’t control it. My dad’s shouting words I still don’t understand during that time. I saw how panicked he was which made it all scary. But when my mom turned to me at the backseat, her face was serene. She outreached her arms to me. I wanted to launch into her but my seatbelt is holding me back. I panicked and started to cry when I can’t reach her hand. I saw her face gently lit up and smiled at me like she was trying to calm me down which actually infected me. She quickly unbuckled herself and tried to reach for me again. Then our hands touched. I was holding her and immediately felt fine, relax and safe. She was pulling me to her when I heard a very loud explosion…” now tears are free-falling down my cheeks.