Chapter 25: Surprises

Kiefer

I'm getting ready for bed. I'm so tired. Two games in one day. That could surely knock me out. But not just yet. I haven't heard her voice.

I took my phone out. It's 10 minutes before 12. I dialled her number and waited for her to answer.

"Hey Kief," Sam answered. She's not yet asleep. High pitch pa ang boses eh. "I thought you were asleep already. I was hesistating to call you, you might be resting."

"But apparently I'm still alert. Tumawag pa nga ako eh," I tried to tease her.

"Nga naman. So, how are you? How's your day?" She asked me.

"I had a very tiring day. 2 games in one day," I said to her. I swear I can imagine her frowning at what I said.

"Why are they doing that to you? That's torture!" She said. I just smiled at her sounding so worried about me. "Aren't you going to sleep na? Go get some rest na. We'll talk tomorrow." I  just love her voice. It makes me miss her more. 

"I'm fine. I want to hear your voice. How about your day? Did you have fun with the girls?" I  enthusiactically asked her. She fell silent.

"Well, I kind of had a very interesting day and I ditched the girls." She anxiously said. Why doesn't she sound ecstatic? Ditching her so called friends would normally excite her.

"What's wrong? Tell me." I asked her. 

"I don't think I should tell you now. But it's not a matter of life and death. Something you shouldn't worry about." She reassured me.

"Uh-ha, you have to tell me when we see each other?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I will." I can imagine her plastering her smile. "Wait!" She snapped.

"What?" I got alarmed. "What's happening there? Are you okay? What going on? Sam?!" 

Hearing her giggle made me relax. "Check your gallery and look for videos on your phone please." She ordered.

"Why?" I asked.

"Just check it please." She sweetly said.

"I don't want to hang up. I want to hear you more." What's up with her. What is she up to?

"Please please please. We can talk after." She pleaded. That made me curious. 

"Okay. Wait for my call." I told her. "Aye!" She enthusiastically answered. I ended the call and followed her instructions. As I open the gallery I saw a video with her face on it. I tapped the screen to play the video.

"Happy Bithday Kiefer!"  Sam said on the video. 

"We may be far from each other now, but please do imagine me hugging you right this moment. Sayang we can't be together on our birthday. But nevertheless, I'm wishing you the best and happiest birthday in the history of birthdays. I'm gonna take this time to say thank you for all the things you have done to me..." She took a pause, gulped for air. 

"...for taking care of me while I'm sick,... for bringing me breakfast... for listening and understanding,... for making me feel special,... for treating me like a princess,... for making me smile..." She paused then smiled dearly.

 "The list could go on forever y'know. So thank you in general. And I want you to know that I will do my very best to make you feel the way you make me feel, cause I know that it's one of the best feeling  in the whole wide world. I will miss you when you go to Bacolod. Oops! You'll be watching this pala on our birthday" I smiled when she hit her head with her palm. "I should be saying I miss you na pala." She giggled.