Chapter 14: Pink and Blue

Sam

I'm sitting on the high stool here in our kitchen while looking at the magazines and cook books I bought. I'm decided. I want to learn how to cook. I also went to the grocery to stuff our refrigerator with ingredients I might need. Now, the only ingredient I need is Von.

Where is he na ba? I said he should be here by 8 am. Eh 8:05 na oh. What? I want everything on time and on schedule. I'm about to call him when I herd a car pull up. Maybe it's him. I just waited here in the kitchen. He knows where to go na.

"Sammie!" I heard him called. I looked at him sharply. The huge grin he was wearing when he entered disappeared when he saw me frowning. 

"Okay. Don't look at me like that. I'm just late for like 7 minutes." He defended himself.

"Still. You're late." I said to him.

"Okay I'm sorry. I know I won't win this." He smiled and put his arms on my shoulders. "So what is this all about?" He asked.

"You're going to be my sous chef / food critic." I said to him.

"Ano bang nakain mo at gusto mong matutong magluto?" He asked. He then smiled at me. "You don't have to learn all of this. Magaling na si Kiefer magluto. Siya na magluluto para sa inyong dalawa." 

"Exactly my point. He's been cooking for me. I want to return the favor." I seriously said.

He just gave me a meaningful smile. "Sige na nga. So what are we doing first?" he asked.

"Hmmm? That, I don't know. I don't know where to start." Von then picked up the magazines. He flipped the pages of the magazines. 

"Diba you like Italian food? Why don't we start there. Do you have recipes or cook books for those?" Von asked me.

"Of course I do. Those were the first cook books I bought. I also have here my other favorites. Mexican and Japanese food. I have pretty much everything. I knid of bought all magazines and books that's related to cooking in the booksore I went into yesterday." I sheepishly smiled at him.

"Ikaw talaga. If you want something," he messed my hair.

"Hey! Not my hair." I removed his hand. "Start na tayo! Which Italian food ba ang uunahin natin?" he asked.

I flipped the pages of one of the magazines. "This!" I pointed to the picture of Linguine with Clam Sauce." Then I gave Von a huge smile.This is definitely one of my favorite.

"Sige. Do you have the ingredients?" He asked.

"Haha Of course I do! I came prepared." 

Then we startesd to collect the ingredients from the stock room and the refrigerator. Von aslo helped with preparing the cooking materials. 

I was chopping the parsley when I accidentally sliced my finger. "Ouch!" My finger was extensively bleeding. Seem like the wound is deep. I went to the faucet to run water to the wound. Von came to my rescue. When he saw that I was bleeding, he immediately ran somewhere. Urgh! It hurts. This is one of the reasone why I didn't like cooking. 

Von came back with the first aid kit, He helped me with my wound.

"Ayan kasi. Hindi nag-iingat." Von scolded. I just ignored him.

After attending to my wound, I went back to what I was doing. I really want to learn and I'm not going to stop because of this. And I really want to do this for Kiefer. Yes, it's not a secret. I'm making this effort for him. I want to surprise him. I just ignored Von's rants.

Then I heard Von's phone rang. He answered it. He came back again and said it was Simmy.

"Sammie, can Simmy come here? She's alone daw eh," he said. Ano to? maa-out of place lang ako nito eh. But ofcourse okay lang. I understand naman eh, and Simmy's my friend too.