Chapter 29: Lessons from the Past

Kiefer

I turned to the other side of my bed when I felt someone sleeping there. I was about to jump on that person and hit him for staying here unpermitted when I realized something.

Well yeah! I remembered Von self invited himself to sleepover pala. I grabbed my pillow and playfully hit Von who is still soundly sleeping.

"Plan B tayo! Fastbreak! Kiefer, bola! Open Ako!" Von went on screaming, his eyes grew larger and he was breathing heavily like he's in a real game.

I hysterically laughed at my bestfriend's reaction. I was clutching my stomach when he realized what was really happening. He forcefully nudged me which made me fell off my bed. I formed to retaliate but my baby sister suddenly appeared on my door.

"Is everyone decent in here?" She said while her eyes still closed.

"I always knew you wanted to see me naked Dani," Von smugly commented.

"Aw!" He screamed when I threw him a book from my bedside table.

"Leave my baby sister alone Von. Dani, you can open your eyes now." I instructed.

"Dream on Kuya Von. And Manong I'm not a baby anymore," Dani said while stucking her tongue out.

"You not a baby anymore pala ha? So what's up?" I asked.

"Mom said you guys prepare for brunch. Late na Manong. Can you please move faster? I;m hungry. Mom won't let us eat if we're not complete." Dani said impatiently

"Late na ba?" I asked and took the  digital clock on my bedside table. It says 10:45. Looks like Von and I chatted til morning pala kagabi.

"Ba't di na lang kayo naunang kumain?" I asked. They can eat first when they're hungry. They don't usually wait for Von and I to wake up before they eat, whenever Von's sleeping over.

"Manong, no more questions please. Just get your lazy butts up and drag your bestfriend downstairs please." She said then went out of my room.

Ano bang meron? I decided to get up and move fast before my baby sister turn to incredible Dani  again. I don't want that to happen. 

I turned to Von and saw that he's sleeping again. I just shook my head at my bestfriend. I don't want to starve my family so what I did was grab his left foot and drag him out of my bed. When half of his body was almost down, he went on screaming plays again.

"Nico! I'll take left corner!" Von shouted, still dreaming but his eyes were now open.

I hit him with my book again. "Shut up Von! C'mon let's eat."

He rubbed the part of his head where the book hit. He squinted his eyes to adjust himself to reality. When he realized he's not in a game, he stood up and waited for me to finish using the bathroom.

After our morning rituals, we went  down to the kitchen, only to find out that my family wasn't there. Manang Trining went out of the dirty kitchen while holding a huge platter full of bacon and sauges.

"Ijo, nasa garden sila ngayon." Our long time helper informed me.

"Cge po," I said to her as she continued walking to the garden. 

"Mukhang pinaghandaan ni Mommy yung brunch natin ah. Palibhasa alam niyang dito ka kakain. You eat like a monster." I said to Von.

"That's why I love you mom bro, Cmon!" He said and put his arm on my shoulder.

Von and I were doing our usual thing, nudging and teasing each other. When we reached the garden...

"Sammie!" Von shouted and let go of me. My eyes flew to the owner of that name and saw her smiling. She was seated beside my baby sister who was talking to her animatedly.