Chapter 9

People cleared out of the way of him, and he held my small, smooth hand in his calloused one as he pulled me through the crowd. I stuck close to him, fingers curled in his black shirt and eyes cast downward. My gaze would flicker to his back, watching the muscles of his rigid composure ripple, his posture pin-straight. He wasn't stopping, and we were moving at a steady pace, almost to the door when someone bumped into me, sending me skidding sideways as my hand was ripped from Niall's. A small 'oomph' escaped my lips, and I felt a presence right in front of me, and I looked up to see an ugly oaf grinning down at me.

"Well, hello princess." He said, and my breath caught in my throat when his face contorted in paralyzed pain. He was moved away from me, and I saw Niall's face on fire with a sort of pulsating fury. His hand gripped the man by the back of the neck, and he flung him sideways, spitting out a 'stay away from her' or something along those lines before he grabbed my hand, tugging me toward the door again. 

We burst out into the cool air, Niall barely even pausing, only stopping long enough to let a group pass us. Then he started walking quickly down the street and along the line of cars. His long legs were moving too fast for me, my heels clicking rapidly from me jogging to keep up, and my head was swimming. "Niall..." I said, but he didn't turn around, only led me closer to his Range.

"Niall!" I said, tugging hard on his hand. He whirled around, his eyes blazing, and I froze. He stared at me for a short time before closing his eyes for a little while, his composure relaxed as he pulled my hand up to his chest, cupping it against him. He closed his eyes, and I had to take a step toward him to keep from falling.

"You're walking too fast." I said, sniffling from the blast of cool air that ruffled his hair. He sighed, opening his eyes and without saying a word, started off for the car again. My hand was still clasped in his, but he was at least going at a slower pace. 

He pulled his keys out of his pocket, his Range clicking, signaling it's ability to be opened. He pulled open the passenger door for me, and I ducked under his arm. Before I climbed inside, he grabbed my hip, whirling me around. His eyes bore into mine for the first time that night, taking my breath away. They were on fire, unblinking, and wider than I'd ever seen them.

"Are you alright?" He spoke steadily and deep, his voice rumbling through the night. No words formed on my tongue that felt far too thick, so I just nodded my head, blinking and looking down. I didn't wait for him to release me, and instead pulled myself up into the Range. He shut my door before rounding the hood, swinging himself up into the drivers side when he'd reached it. 

He kept the music low on the drive and I cracked the window, suddenly feeling a bit blanketed by heat. I watched the lights go by far too quickly on the freeway as he drove, and it suddenly dawned on me.

"Niall? Where were Liam and Nicole?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. His mouth twitched up at the corners, but he kept his eyes focused on the road. He looked over his shoulder as he switched lanes, speaking only after he'd completed his task.

"Nicole and Liam left shortly after you'd...disappeared." He said, his own head cocking at his word choice.

"Is she alright?" I asked in a small voice, and he nodded once.

"They were pretty much all over each other when I saw them get into the car." He said, and I made a protesting noise, which made him laugh. The conversation ended there, and we continued on in silence. 

We pulled up in front of my house, and neither one of us made a move. I stared down at my fingers because right now my mind was flashing back to what had happened when we were both back here. I took a deep breath at the same time as Niall, and I looked up to his face.

"Well, I'll walk you up." He said, opening his door and stepping onto the pavement. He walked around the Range and opened my door for me, and I slid off the leather seat, Niall shutting the door behind me. I walked with him up to my front door, turning to face him.

"Well, thanks for the ride, Niall." I said, and he nodded at me.

"You alright?" He asked for what seemed the fifth time that night, and I shook my head 'yes', my hand glued to the doorknob.

"Thanks for saving me. Again." I said, looking up and meeting his gaze. He didn't say anything, just nodded once more before turning.

"Goodnight, Bleu." He said, and started down the steps. 

"Niall, wait!" I said, and he slowly turned toward me, quirking his eyebrow up.

"Yes?" He asked, and I took a deep breath, wondering why in the hell I was doing this. Why it mattered.

"Where were you?" I asked, and he turned completely toward me. My voice sounded small and wondrous; maybe a little hurt as well.

"I thought you wanted me gone? Weren't you the one that called me a 'horrid jackass'?" He asked, mocking me and throwing up 'air quotes'. Well, he had me there. I swallowed, nodding my head.

"Yes I did. But that was because you deserved it. I don't know why, but I expected you to call or text or...something." I said, and he smirked that stupid little smirk. 

He made his way up the steps, pressing my back up against my door and getting oh-so close. His breath warmed my face, no trace of alcohol on it, only flares of mint left. His scent consumed me, washing off of his body and over mine, and I thought back to all the boys I'd met since him and before him and  decided that none smelled quite as good as he did. None of them were as good looking, as irresistible. 

"Or maybe you just wanted me to." He said, bringing his hand up to my face, his thumb stroking my cheeks and my eyes searched his for something, of which I don't know. My breath hitched in my throat, but I forced the lump down, my lips forming words that rolled off my tongue.

"I highly doubt that." I said, but it came out more as a whisper.

"Mm." He mumbled, so close his nose was practically touching my own.

"You looked...beautiful out there tonight. Any particular reason?" He asked, and I narrowed my gaze, suddenly getting the sense that he was mocking me. Maybe be the slightest bit too cocky.

"No. No particular reason than to have a good time. And forget you." I said, placing a hand on his chest and moving him away from me.

"Thanks again for everything Niall, and I hope you have a good rest of the night. Goodbye." I said, unlocking my door and opening it. He grabbed my elbow, and I looked over my shoulder at him.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" He asked, and I nodded, wrenching my elbow out of his grasp.

"I'm sure." I said, stepping in and watching him turn and thump down the steps, not seeming to be the least bit phased by my... change of heart. As he strolled down my driveway, his tongue peeking out from between his pink lips, elbows slightly bent and broad shoulders pushed back, I suddenly wondered why in the hell I'd met him in the first place.