Chapter 16

We spent all day at the gym. I just sat back in my spot near the wall, sometimes on my phone, sometimes shouting things at Niall as he called out to me. We obviously amused a few people at the gym, because every few minutes there were people chuckling at our exchanges. As Niall had said, Nixon came in about mid-day and we chatted for a bit before Niall disrupted us to go to lunch. When we got back, Niall started to work out, and I caught myself staring multiple times. 

We were the last people in the gym when a balding man with glasses and a bit of facial hair called out to Niall. "Lock up, will you?" He asked, tossing Ni the keys. He nodded, turning around to rifle through his bag.

"Bye Bleu!" Nixon called, waving at me.

"Bye Nixon!" I said back, kicking my legs back and forth. The balding man caught up to him after Nixon said his farewell to Niall, and then we were alone. 

There were only a few lights on, and I could see that it was already dark outside. It was dim and a bit dingy in here, but I was curious. I hopped off my perch on the table and started to walk around, pushing up my sleeves. I suddenly found myself walking toward the cage, absentmindedly, but I was only a few feet away. Then I felt two large arms wrap around my waist and a face nuzzle into my neck. I was overwhelmed with the scent of sweat and...Niall. Oddly pleasant. 

I tried to pry his arms off of me as he pressed his lips into the hollow of my collarbone. "Niall..." I whined, pushing on his arms before he spun me around in them. I looked up into his eyes, blue with adrenaline and...irritation, though a pretty smirk was on his face. "Niall, what's wrong?" I asked, and he shook his head, his smile faltering as he spoke,

"Nothing." I knew he was lying to me, though, because he clenched his jaw.

"Niall." I warned gently, gripping his biceps so I wouldn't fall backwards because his grip around my waist was incredibly tight.

He blew out a breath, rolling his eyes. "Nothing. The guy I was supposed to train didn't show up today."

"Oh." I said softly, and looked down at the mat.

"But I could train you." He said, a smirk tugging at the right side of his mouth, his hands beginning to grab at my body. I laughed, pushing at his chest before he could attack my neck again.

I got close to his face, unable to keep the smile away, and said, "Bring it on, lover boy." 

I broke away, jogging away from him. "Lover boy?" He called in a mocking tone, and I giggled. Actually giggled.

I turned to look at him, still standing where I'd left him, eyebrows raised. "Well?" I asked, putting my hands on my hips, and he crossed his arms before narrowing his gaze. Suddenly he turned, and I stood there with a wondrous look my face before I saw him pull out a pair of gloves. I laughed triumphantly, then danced the rest of the way to the cage. I pulled open the door, the feeling of cold metal oddly warming to me. 

I ran my fingers over the links of the walls, stepping softly until I heard a creak behind me. Niall was standing there, entrapping the gloves that he'd obviously worn when he spared.

"Take off your boots." He said, and I nodded, reaching down to pull them off before tossing them over the side. "C'mere." He said, and I couldn't help but grin as I walked over to him. He lifted his eyebrows, although there was an obvious pleased smile on his lips as I bounced up and down, giggling with giddiness as I pushed my small hands into the gloves. "Are you excited?" He asked, and I nodded.

"Excited to kick your ass." I said, and that made him laugh out loud. 

After the gloves were strapped on, we moved to the center of the ring, and started to circle. My fists were pulled up to my chin, my left foot out, but Niall just stood there watching me, amused.