Chapter 21

The rest of the day was spent trying to occupy myself so that I wasn’t forced to spend all my time with Niall. I talked to anyone I could, laughing with Nixon and completely ignoring Niall. Finally I was approached by a female, escorted by a very happy looking Vic.

“Bleu, this is my little sister, Jazzy. Jazzy, this is Bleu.” He said, and I smiled a warm smile at her.

“Hey.” I said, reaching my hand out to shake hers. She fiddled with her lip ring before shaking my hand once and dropping it, all the while a tight smile plastered to her face.

“Jazz, play nice.” Vic growled, glaring down at her. She rolled her eyes, pushing away from him.

“I don’t even understand why I have to be here.” She said, crossing her tattooed arms over her chest. She couldn’t be more than eighteen, a few years younger than her brother. She had the same dark features, but her hair was stark black and cropped into different layers, stopping at her shoulders. I didn’t even know how she held her eyes open with all the makeup she was wearing, but it worked for her. She was stunning. 

She had a severe attitude, though. “You’re here because you’ve got nowhere else to go. And you’re not hanging out with those gang bangers I caught you with-”

“He’s my boyfriend and he’s not a ‘gang banger‘!” She squealed, stomping her foot like a three year old.

“That’s why he cheats on you at strip joints on the weekdays and deals drugs, eh?” I’d never seen Vic look so angry, and I wasn’t sure I should look away. “At least he makes money! You’re a dead beat that’s going nowhere in MMA.”

“Hey, you watch your mouth.” I said, narrowing my eyes at her. She whipped around, turning that blaze of sass on me.

“Excuse you bitch-”

“No, sweetheart, don’t start with me because I’m not afraid to put you in your place. Your brother is obviously looking out for you and maybe if you opened your eyes you would see that. How about you go cool off, there’s left over food over there. But you will not disrespect your own family in this gym when he’s the reason you’re here and he’s been nothing but nice. And if you call me a bitch,” I stepped closer to her. “Be prepared to handle one. Okay?” She glared at me before squealing again and waltzing off to the other side of the gym. 

Vic sighed, rubbing his closed eyes with the heels of his palms. “I’m sorry, Vic-”

“No, thank you. She needed that. I kind of wanted her to meet you just for that reason.” I smiled at him, softly rubbing his shoulder.

“Just give her some time to cool off. Go run on the treadmill or whatever you do to cool down. Kill time.” I said the first thing that popped into my mind, but he shook his head.

“Nah, I’ll just go be a lazy ass and pass out on the mat.” He said, and I laughed before he shot me an award winning smile and heading in the other direction.

I felt hands on my hips and a body pressed gently to my own and I gasped, jumping from surprise. “It’s just me Bleu.” Niall said, chuckling and resting his chin on my shoulder. I huffed, staying stationary in my chair.

“You mad?” He breathed, sounding more exhausted than anything.

“Disappointed is more of the word I would have chosen.” I said, not daring to look at him. He sighed, sliding his hands down my arms until they were clasped in my own.

“C’mon.” He said, walking around me and tugging me after him toward the door. 

When we got outside he dropped our hands and walked a little ways by himself. I watching him curiously, wondering just what he was doing. “Niall?” I asked finally, unable to bear the silence any longer, no matter how I felt about him.