Chapter 37

I shook my head, tearing my eyes away from him and staring straight ahead, clenching my jaw. Hank was seated in the seat directly across from me, twirling his glass around and around while staring at me. I could feel his eyes on me, and it made me feel disgusting. Just being around him made me feel like trash. I mean, that’s what we were always called. All because of Hank, my father was considered white trash, sleazy, a mobster. We were far from it, but all of the rumors got to him, the lifestyle got to him…and here we are. 

“So tell me, Love. How has life been to you?” Hank asked, a smile lilting his mouth.

“You should know. I wouldn’t be here without you.” I fired back, unable to hold back the snaky comments.

I met his eyes, not glaring but I could feel the angry flush spreading up my neck and to my face. I was gripping the sides of my chair, though he didn’t seem at all influenced by my words. He let out an amused noise, nodding.

“Fair enough. But other than that; tell me what’s been going on. Work, friends, play.” He winked, his eyes flicking to Niall. I felt him still beside me, and I looked away, swallowing back the emotions. Just as I was about to answer him, though, I was interrupted by none other than the devil himself. 

Darren walked up behind Hank, his eyes glinting with mischief when he saw where I was. His dark brown hair was slicked back, stubble on his chin, a black tux adorning his muscular physique. A tall, slender blonde was hanging on his arm, clad in a long, strapless blue dress with the sides cut out. Her pink mouth was twisted into a disapproving look as she found me, but I couldn’t bother with Tammy.

I’d beaten her ass once, and I could do it in a dress. I was just focused on not loosing it at Hank, because the results wouldn’t effect only me. Niall’s arm was then placed over the back of my chair once again, and I snuck a look out of the corner of my eye to find him staring Darren down, the tension slowly coiling around him again.

Hank followed Niall’s eyes, then noticed Darren. His look became annoyed, and he gestured to the seats beside him, on his left side. “Take your seats.” He said, and Darren nodded, smirking at us. I wasn’t surprised when Darren left Tammy to pull out her own chair, but I was amused by the look on her face. She was still glaring at me. 

“Hello Bleu. Niall.” Darren said, lounging lazily in the plush chair as he reached for his drink, tipping the glass in our direction.

My skin was crawling, and I reached under the table to grip Niall’s knee. He stilled, but his arm bent so slightly that his thumb was brushing over the back of my shoulder. I said nothing back to Darren, not trusting myself to speak. Hank was looking back and forth between us as if he were watching a tennis match and waiting for something to happen.

He cleared his throat, fixing his suit jacket before re-situating himself in his seat. “So, back to the questions. Bleu, I genuinely would like to know what you’re doing with your life. And if you’re happy.”

I snorted, but he said nothing. If anything he looked slightly agitated, so I complied to his wishes.

“Well, I’m working. I have a few good friends. And I don’t have much time for anything else.”

“Hm. Where are you working?”

A few others at the table-who hadn’t addressed Niall or I-were tuned into our conversation.

“A restaurant.” I said, and he gave me a look.

Then he broke out into a grin, laughing. “Are you trying to be secretive? Don’t worry, I already know.” He said, grinning before taking the last gulp of his drink.