Chapter 40

The next week I spent it at the hospital, learning more and more things about Nicole's condition and just hoping that she would wake up. I had called my work and they gave me the seven days off that I needed before I was due back to work tomorrow, which I was dreading. But lately that was the least of my worries.

I was too concerned with my best friend lying in a bed in a room that was too white and smelled like bleach and sickness. I hadn't been sleeping, and if I did, there were nightmares. The worst part about it was that Niall and I were drifting apart.

Liam was currently awake and he was progressing more and more everyday, and a few of the guys from the gym would come and see him, then drop by if they knew me. Sometimes, after Liam's family left for something, I would go and just talk to him about everything.

The first night was terrible, as when he woke up he began shouting and screaming and crying and trying to go see Nicole. No one could calm him down, which resulted in his mom bursting into tears. When they'd finally pinned him, which took Niall, Nixon, Vic and two other doctors, he told us what was causing this. Nicole had been a month pregnant.

The doctors had let that vital piece of information slip when they told me what had happened. When I found out, Niall had to escort me outside and stay with me until I'd calmed down enough to go back inside. After that, I was distant, shut down and reserved unless I was talking to Liam. Even then, all we'd really do was watch cable TV and he'd pick at the hospital blanket.

Now I was currently sitting at the end of Nicole's bed, reading a book and blowing my nose at intervals because I'd developed a cold. I hadn't seen Niall in about five days, and I knew he'd been working, taking some of Liam's clients and training them. I hadn't told him about any of the nightmares or what they were about, because frankly, I didn't want to be smothered. So I just stared at the page I was on, then looked up at Nicole's battered face that was slowly healing. It got harder and harder to focus on the page, so I finally just put it down and reached for Nicole's hand, holding it in mine and hating the cold.

I took a deep breath before I began talking. "Hey Nicole."I paused. "Okay, this is really weird, talking to someone who can't respond." Another pause. I sighed. "Alright, well," I ran a hand through my hand. "Nicole, I don't know what to do. I'm so, I just want you back. I know it's going to be tough for you to come back, I don't even know if you'll remember anything. But you've got Li, and he really needs you right now, babe. I need you. I miss you. I miss all your sexual innuendos and jokes and how you would tease me about being a prude or blushing when Niall did something to me. I know it won't be the same, but I can only hope, right?" I sighed, fighting back the tears and biting my lip. "I don't want to make this about me, but they're coming back. I just keep having the same nightmares. I don't think it's your fault, I'm just stressed out. But Nicole, please. Please come back. You're the only family I've got left. I love you."

I finished, then closed my eyes. I took a few deep breaths, recovering and running my finger along her knuckles. Then there was a knock on the doorframe.

I turned to see one of the nurses standing there with a sympathetic look in her eyes. "Hey, hon. Just wanted to let you know visiting hours are over." 

I nodded my head. "Okay, I'll just be right out." I said, climbing off of the bed and dropping Nicole's hand. I pulled on my shoes and grabbed my coat, leaning forward and kissing Nicole on her forehead. I pulled away and shot the nurse a tight-lipped smile as I was leaving. That's when I heard a small groan from the bed, and I stopped in my tracks. The nurse was staring straight ahead, her jaw dropped. "Oh my." She said, and then darted into the room. I whirled around and the nurse pushed a call button. Nicole was waking up.

__

They made me leave after that but promised to call with an update. So I said goodnight to Liam and told him the news, a smile adorning his face for the first time that whole week. Then I made my way out into the brisk night, tugging my coat in and fumbling in my coat pocket for my cell phone. I climbed into my car, cranking it up and blasting the heat before dialing Niall's number by heart. He picked up on the third ring.