Grey Shadows

The Façade of 1728
Chapter Six
Grey Shadows

--- Justin's P.O.V.---

The sun was setting and there wasn't much success in what I had tried to accomplish.

Or at least I thought!

I had just left Alfred and _______ with Francis at the bar with the disgusting food since they seemed like the bar. If I'm being completely honest with myself here, I first was planning on leaving because the food what shit... but when I realised that I had an opportunity to leave and get board the ship while no one is on it and find out more about that secret room and whatever dirt Francis has on him.

After some searching around in his room, I came across a certain squeaky floor board on the ground. It quickly gained my attention as I knelt down and tried to find the latch to pick it up to see if it was actually something hiding or just a random old board.

As my fingers found the edge of the board and I was able to lift it up, I was filled with a strange sensation. Hidden within the floors of the ship, a small glass bottle sat in a small space. I reached in and pulled it out.

Adrenaline filled my body causing my hand to shake slightly upon hearing someone just around the corner.

I pushed the board back down into its position and stuck the bottle into my coat pocket right beside the letters I had read the other day but hadn't yet placed back. Once I did, I quickly reached for one of the white bed sheets and held it close to my chest as I leaned up on the wall right beside the door. This way, whoever is coming can't see me from the hallway.

It felt like ages before a tall black haired man entered the room. He was wearing a blue jacket and he had a brown thick belt around his waist. His back was turned towards me though, so I had an advantage. As he unknowingly passed by me, I threw the bed sheet over his head and top torso, blinding him momentarily.

I underestimated him though as he shoved himself backwards, bumping me back and causing me to his the wall rather than doing what a normal person would've done and moved foreword.

My breath was knocked out of me as I stood back up, knowing that he couldn't see me in here... Whoever he was.

He was about to pull the sheet off when I quickly kicked his side, causing him to stumble foreword and bump into Francis's desk, that caused some things to fall. I reached for the doorknob and shut the door quickly as I turned my back and began running.

I knew that I wasn't going to get far if he was chasing me, so thinking quickly, I ran towards the secret room in the walls and quickly made my way inside. Moments later, I could hear the other man's footsteps as he ran off.

Hesitantly, I took in a deep breath and took a step back.

I turned my attention back towards the small box and smiled slightly as I reached into my pocket and pulled the bottle out. I pulled the cork off the bottle and turned it upside down, letting a small silver key fall into my hand.

"Now... What could Francis possibly be hiding that was worth hiding this well?" I thought as I pushed the key into the lock.

--- Third Person P.O.V. ---

"Where could they have gone?" Francis asked, breathing deeply as he finally made it down to the docks from his run from the bar. He was eager.

"I don't know..." Antonio replied nonchalantly as the blood from his nose slowed down enough for him not to have to keep paying it much attention, "But you should've told me that Miss __________ was going to be here, I would've picked up the brothers!" He smiled before his expression changed slightly, "Or should I say Mrs.? They wanted to get married, didn't they?"