Dinner Guest |E|

EDITED

Albert

"If you didn't really need my help, why'd you ask me to tutor you? You've been very capable of answering the questions correctly on your own for the past few weeks I've tutored you." Evangeline asks, tapping the tip of her pencil against her piece of paper.

Evangeline and I have been having our study dates for two weeks now. Dad really likes her, he thinks she's a very educated learner who's a marvelous role model for me. I didn't argue with him on that, Ev really is splendid. "You're just a really good tutor, you taught me within weeks." I say playfully, hoping she'd grasp the joke.

Evangeline snorts while rolling her eyes, "Yeah, right." She begins to pack her school stuff away as our time comes to a close for the day. I recall something Dad had said last night. He wants Ev to spend dinner with us, it's last minute now. I don't think she'd be allowed to stay longer; Ev told me how her Mom protects her to the maximum.

"Ev," I say, it's worth a shot in trying. "My father had told me he wanted the day off in the evening today so you can join us for dinner. I know it's pretty much last minute but my noggin always forgets important things when I'm around you."

Ev bites down nervously on her lower lip, "That's nice but it's really not necessary. Besides, I don't think my Mom would let me."

"You could try to ask?" I push on. Great I sound desperate. Evangeline zips her backpack up and slides her phone out while giggling softly.

"I can try but I don't guarantee," she says as she lifts the phone up to her ear and walks a few feet further from me. The kitchen door opens and I immediately know it's Dad. He must've been serious about getting out early since he arrived an hour earlier than what he claimed he'd arrive.

"Fils," Dad calls. "Is Evangeline dining with us tonight?" I shrug.

"She's calling her Mom for permission," I inform him then fiddle around with my phone as I say the next part. "I asked her at the last minute."

"Fils!" Dad shouts, "Why would you wait until the - " Dad's sentence is cut off as Ev enters the kitchen with a pleasant smile on her angelic face.

"Evening, Mr. Jourdan," She greets politely. "My Mom thought it was sweet of you for having me for dinner, she said its fine that I stay as long as I make it back before 9pm."

Dad's frown fades into a small smile, "That's wonderful, would your parents be joining us, too?" Ev scrunched up her face and shakes her head.

"Sorry, I didn't know they were invited too."

Dad's frown returns as he says, "I had told my son to invite your entire family seeing as I've known you for a while and you seem like a wonderful young lady. I figured it's time I met your parents but I suppose it could be on hold for another occasion."

"I'm sure they'd like that," Ev says and I quickly usher her out the door and into the living room where we'll sit and watch Tv until dinners ready.