Nicolas Jourdan |E|

EDITED

Evangeline

Mom was busy in the kitchen the entire day, she's been baking her famous chocolate cake topped with sliced strawberries for tonight's dinner with The Jourdan's. I'm a little bummed that Dad couldn't make it to the dinner due to a emergency at work; he's a doctor and well, duty calls, doesn't it?

"Honey," Mom says on the phone whilst trying to balance the cake with her hands. "It's fine, really. I don't think you have to reschedule the poor mans surgery. I'm already on my way anyway - No, I cannot cancel. It's last minute, Eddie!" She stays silent while listening do Dad and setting the cake on the counter for icing. "If it'll make you feel better, I'll ask Albert's father if we can arrange an outing for you two to meet. Alright, bye, love you!"

She sets the phone down and huffs in frustration. Baking always gets her riled up; the heat of the oven makes her moody. "What's Albert's fathers name, Ev?" She causally asks, I open my mouth to speak but my phone rings.

I notice the caller ID says Albert so I answer. "Hey, Albert."

"Hey," He says, probably smiling on the other side of the phone since he sounds cheerful. "Are you guys coming? Dads beginning to wonder if you've forgotten. He's really excited to meet your parents."

I cringe, "About that, my Dad couldn't make it due to a work emergency but my Mom and I will be there soon. She's just finishing up."

"Perfect!" He cheers, "See you then!"

I hang the phone up and shove it into my pocket and by the time I waltz into the kitchen, Mom is already finished with the cake. "We're late, aren't we? Let's go, take this to the car while I lock up."

I do as told and wait in the car for her, then, we'd be on our way to dinner with the Jourdan's.

🌸🌸🌸

Albert opens the door for us once we knock and he greets us both with a warm smile. "Nice to see you again, Mrs. Ross. My dad will be down shortly."

Mom smiles, "Good to see you too, Albert. Where should I put this?"

"In the kitchen," Albert gestures. "Through the hall and to the left." Mom thanks him and walks toward there. "Hey, you look beautiful." He says once he shuts the door behind me.

"Nah, I just threw whatever on." I blush.

"Well, you look beautiful regardless." He says as Mr. Jourdan walks down the stairs and into the living room.

"Evangeline, I'm glad you could make it!" He greets, "Albert told me your father couldn't make it but I assume your mother is somewhere around here?"

I nod, "She's placing a cake on the counter in the kitchen."

"That's great," he says and we begin to walk toward her but she makes her way out at the same time, bumping into Mr. Jourdan on accident.

"Oh, sorr -" Mom begins but freezes when she looks at his face. Mr. Jourdan smiles brightly.

"Mom, aren't you going to say hi?" I ask, eyebrows furrowed in confusion as to why she hasn't said a word.

"That won't be necessary," Mr. Jourdan says, still smiling. "I - "

Mom interrupts what he's about to say, a frown on her face. "We already met, years ago. Isn't that right, Nicolas Jourdan."