Nightmares |E|

EDITED

Albert

"Don't you dare touch her, Carl!" I shouted desperately into the phone. Carl is the Big Man, the boss of all dealers, including me. He called the shots and everyone had to obey. If they didn't, things got beyond ugly.

Carl ordered me to track down some chick who had failed to pay up what she owes, he needed me to get rid of her. He claimed the woman had to many chances to pay up but she always failed.

I've done it before so I didn't think much of it. I thought it'd be an easy job. That is, until, I found out that the woman I needed to kill was Jane's mom. I denied, for the first time ever, I denied.

Jane is my girlfriend, I can't take her mom from her. "Kid, it's easy! Get rid of Stacy and we won't touch Jane."

I can't. I don't want them to touch Jane but I can't take her mom away either. "I can't do that to her, Carl! Stacy is her mom!"

"Either do what I said or Jane gets it. Your choice, kid."

I didn't get to reply because he hung up. I have no choice, do I?

I don't like the woman but Jane adores her. I can't be heartless and take that away from her.

🌸🌸🌸

I've thought about it, I can't cause that type of pain to Jane. It'll destroy her and I wont know what to do nor how to help her. Much less, if she'd ever forgive me if she finds out it was me. I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt.

I decided to call Carl and tell him before I changed my mind. Needless to say, he was furious. He claimed I'd pay for this betrayal and he'd hire another doof to do it.

Turns out, my father was that doof.

I argued with him for so long about how he couldn't do that because he'd hurt Jane in the process but dad didn't give two shits. "Too bad, fils." Dad had said, "I already did it, I didn't know it was her mom. Carl had me do it in order to protect you, needless to say, of course I did it for you!"

I shook my head and hurried to Jane's house. I need to be with her - help her cope with what she just experienced. A loss.

I know how painful that loss is. I've lost mine already, I didn't want Jane to feel how I did. I was a rebel when mom was alive but when she passed I became even worse. I played with every girl I saw. I got into trouble and I got involved in Carl's business.

"Albert." Jane was already sobbing when I arrived, she didn't even ask what I was doing there. I didn't question it. Instead, I wrapped my arms around her as she did the same.

We stumbled through the door to get inside and the scene before me, will haunt me forever.

Officers scattered everywhere, collecting clues. The crime scene tape was placed up the stairs, on her parents bedroom.

I looked around and noticed Jane's dad talking to an officer, he looked like he cried until he couldn't anymore.

I was so busy getting to Jane that I didn't notice the cop cars and ambulance outside.

A pair of paramedics came down with, what I assume, is Jane's mom's dead body covered by a dark cover.

The murder must have been brutal by the looks of all the blood everywhere on the paramedics who have more likely carried the deceased body to the gurney. I held onto Jane tighter, allowing her to soak my shirt with her tears.

I needed to be her rock right now. She needs me and I can't believe my dad did this. He killed Jane's mom.

🌸🌸🌸

Two weeks passed, the funeral was today. Jane seemed depressed but no tears came out. I didn't bother to speak to dad, I was angry. I couldn't see him.

I also thought Carl had laid off of the whole "You'll pay for this, kid" thing but I was sadly wrong.

No one came to the funeral, Jane and her dad decided it'd be best if only us three came. Her dad didn't want gossipers to spread bullshit about his wife. He knew she had a problem with her addiction but Jane didn't and he preferred it that way.

We stood in silence for a while before the casket was lowered. Jane placed her palm on her moms casket as it slowly went down.

What occurred next, killed me.

A car screeched, gunshots were fired as Jane's body was shot repeatedly. "Jane!" I shouted at the same time her dad did. We hurried to her side but she was already on top of the lowering casket.

I turned to catch a glimpse of the car who murdered Jane. I saw a snickering Carl and a regretful looking dad. Carl held the gun, dad was driving.

I turned back to Jane, her dad was cradling her. "Not you, too, Jane! I can't loose you, too!" He sobbed, my knees went weak and I collapsed beside him and Jane's dead figure. She was dead.

Jane, was dead.