Mon Amour |E|

EDITED

Nicolas

In all these years, I've never thought I'd see my first wife ever again. Not since she swore she'd never want to see me for as long as we lived but here she is. Before my very eyes, the one and only Ruby Jourdan is standing a few feet away from me, looking as beautiful as ever.

"Ruby Jourdan, well I be damned! I never thought I'd see you again!" I smile, approaching her while she takes a cautious step back causing her highlighted curls to bounce

"Nicolas," she breathed nervously as if I were to pounce on her at any second and harm her. I wouldn't hurt her - I know I did before but not anymore. I'm aware I fucked up but I cannot describe with words how much I regret what I did to her. "I can say the same thing."

"Uh," Albert clears his throat. "You two know each other? Why did you call her Ruby Jourdan? Isn't she a Ross?" I took a quick glance at them and noticed Evangeline had the same facial expression as Albert does.

They must obviously be confused about this whole situation between Ruby and I. "Of course we know each other, fils! She's Ruby Jordan," I say with enthusiasm. "My first wife!"

"Wife!?" Evangeline shouted, "What do you mean wife? As in you two were married once?" Albert furrowed his eyebrows as Ruby shivered uncomfortably.

"Yeah, we were married before she married your father, Evangeline." I inform the little ones. It's then that it dawns on me; Evangeline should've been my daughter! She is the child we were supposed to create! But we didn't.

No, she remarried Eddie Ross after she filed the divorce papers she had ordered; Evangeline is Eddie Ross' offspring! She's the daughter of the man who stole my Ruby from me; the reason she refused to give me another chance! The reason I married a worthless woman who gave birth to my son, Albert. That's the only thing she did good, give me a son.

"I-I think we should go, Ev." Ruby states nervously, "Thank you, Nicolas and Albert for the invitation but I think we'll have to pass. Enjoy the cake!" I quickly take hold of Ruby's wrist and she glares at me; probably fearful that I'd hurt her.

"Albert, why don't you and Evangeline set the table up?" I suggest, "Ruby and I need to clear some things up before she decides to skip dinner." Albert doesn't say another word, he grabs Evangeline's hand out of her mothers and leads her toward the dining room.

"Ruby," I whisper whilst getting closer to her. "What's the real reason you want to go home? I was surprised to see you, too, trust me. Did I really make you that nervous?"

She yanks her wrist out of my grasp and glares through my skull. "Don't ever touch me, Nicolas. If I didn't say anything to you the second I saw you, it was for my daughter but since you kindly had her escorted out, I can say what I want."

I step an inch closer, "What is it that you want, mon amour?"

"I didn't want Ev to ever find out I married someone before Eddie, I never wanted her to know that the child I had miscarried years ago was yours and not her fathers! I had no idea Albert was your son but I don't want you or him near my daughter! If he's anything like you, he'd only hurt her!"

"Albert is my son but I guarantee you that he's nothing like me!" I argue but when I look into her eyes I take a deep breath in. "Why don't we just have a civil dinner with the children? After that, you'll never have to step foot in my home. Do you really want your daughter and my son to be curious as to why you want to bail on dinner with me?"

She stays silent for a minute before rolling her eyes, "No, of course not, but no shenanigans! I mean it, Nicolas."

I smile and cross my heart; "None whatsoever."

🌸🌸🌸

"Does your husband treat you well, Mrs. Ross?" I ask through gritted teeth; the mention of Eddie revolts me. "Is he a cheater?"

Ruby tried her best to not glare at me while faking a smile, "Eddie is a wonderful man, Nicolas. You should know, you met him. That day you went to my job? Ring a bell?" I frown.

Of course it rings a bell; that's the day I was drunk and drove myself to her work and begged her to not marry Eddie. I offered her a better life far from here, but she denied

I remember Eddie having security quick me out when he found out who I was and what I was trying to do. Bastard, I mentally scoff.

"That's great," I fake a smile equal to hers. Albert and Evangeline haven't said a word and I can imagine why. It must be awkward to have to witness this surprise reunion.

So, I did my best to change the topic of our conversation. "Why didn't you go to Athena's burial?" My question caught her off guard; she set her fork down and eyed me.

"What're you talking about?"

"Didn't you hear the news?" I suddenly felt a tad of guilt for being the one to tell her that Athena had passed. "I thought you knew, pardonnez-moi."

Ruby's eyes began to fill up with tears that are ready to spill any second. Evangeline places her hand on her moms and whispers something to her. "Knew what?"

I glance at Albert who is just as confused as Evangeline. "She passed quite some time ago."