Chapter Five

"Hey honey we brought you some food" My mom said walking back into the room. She was holding a tray with small containers of food on it, that she placed in front of me on a little rollable table.

"Thanks" I replied. Kyle was sitting next to me in the bed and we were watching a movie. Surprisingly the hospital bed was pretty big and he was able to fit on there pretty comfortably.

"So whatcha watching" She asked?

"A movie" I replied wanting her to leave Kyle and I alone. Sure I loved her, but still, she was my mom and she was very embarrassing.

"What movie" She asked?

"Mom" I groaned. She held up her hands in surrender like she didn't even realise what she was doing. She smiled at us as she left the room. Kyle started laughing next to me and i wrinkled my forehead in confusion.

"What's so funny" I asked?

"You" He smiled.

"Thanks" I replied before turning back to the movie. I didn't get what was so funny about the exchange between me and my mom, but i didn't really care. Kyle Lowe thinks i'm funny and that's ok with me.

"It's getting kind of late, i think i should go" Kyle said. I looked at the clock it was about 9:00pm. But i still didn't want him to leave.

"Okay" I sighed. Hopefully he didn't realise how disappointed I was because he was leaving.

"I'll be back tomorrow" He smiled. I smiled back as he started to leave the room.

"Bye Kyle" i called.

"Bye Bryn" He replied and his silhouette disappeared down the hall.

***

"Can you tell me what's wrong with me" I shouted at my mom. We were just having a conversation and i sat there waiting for her to bring it up. The more she steered away from my health the more aggravated i got.

"Honey, it's not as easy-" She started.

"How do you think i feel" I shouted, "My parents won't even tell me what's wrong with me" I whined.

"Bryn" She sighed.

"Tell me" I demanded.

"They found cancer in your brain," She said silencing any form of noise in the room, "It means you have a tumor in your brain the part that control your memory and speech. The worst part is, it's not even curable so we can't do anything about it" She explained as her voice cracked and her eyes watered. I sat there staring at my mom. I didn't know what to say, or even how i was supposed to react. Was i supposed to cry or scream? I wanted to curl up in a ball and sink into the fabric of the hospital bed sheets. This couldn't be happening. Not to me. My eyes started to water as i thought of my friends and my family. They were going to be devastated and i wouldn't be there to console them and tell them everything was gonna be okay. Because, i would be dead.

"Can you leave, i just want to be alone right now" I replied quietly and lifelessly.

"Sure honey" My mom slightly smiled as she got up and left the room.

"I'm gonna die" I whispered to myself as a tear trickled down my cheek.