CHAPTER 13

I ran down the stairs, hoping not to bump into them halfway. I was about to run through the backdoor when I heard one of them call after me. I did a three-hundred and sixty degree turn and ran back up the stairs. Before I knew it, three of the green-eyed men were chasing me as I tried to make it back up to the safety of my room. But then remembered Max. But at this point they were more of a threat.

 I continued up the steps, two at a time. I reached the landing, the men were just one flight of stairs below me. I pushed the door open and closed it once I had gotten inside. I was bolting the locks when a bullet planted itself in the door where the lock was, causing the lock to shatter and fall. They marched in and grabbed me by the arms. One of them put a gun against my head, "Where is the fugitive?"

"F-f-fugitive?" I say, shaking. I looked towards the kitchen door, where Max was trapped. The door was cracked open. He left me. The window was open and the curtains swayed to the cold wind outside. I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing,

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lied, fighting back the tears,

They pushed me back and I fell onto the old sofa- chair as they discussed something amongst themselves in a hushed tone. Dust flew like micro fairies dancing in the cold air, the sun's golden rays, making them visible. The three mutants stood in front of me as they looked down to my level, holding their guns, ready to shoot me if I moved.

"You're coming with us," One of them said, his eyes piercing into my skull. The other two bent over, attempting to pick me up, but I kicked and hit until they let me go,

"I'm not going anywhere with you...freaks," I say sitting back down.

"How dare you rebel against our leader's command. You bring shame to your country, we're trying to help-"

"Stop right there, shit-head, you and your friends and your leader, can go SUCK it, because i'm not going anywhere with you idiots. I guess you'll have to kill me," I spat furiously as they stared at me in disbelief and then one coolly said,

"Oh, no. We can't kill you. We have orders to bring you back alive. You are going to help our society grow with the information you hold, you're far too precious. Instead we'll just...let you sleep, till we get back to Washington DC"

 Before I could react, the back of his rifle hit the side of my head and I was knocked out.