CHAPTER 18

The matte black jeep was empty. The mutants were yelling behind me. I scrambled up to my feet and ran to the car. Cars didn't work anymore and the only cars iv'e seen been driven, was by them. I ran to the door and pulled at the handle. It was open. I jumped in throwing the bags in, forgetting Wilson was in it as he hissed,

"Sorry, buddy"

I shut the door and locked it. The key wasn't in the ignition. I searched around the dashboard and it dropped onto my lap. I turned the key into the ignition and the car roared to life. I was so overwhelmed. It took time for me to soak it all in. Hope. 

I sat back and took a deep breath in. Where do I go now? I was so spaced- out, I hadn't realized the mutants coming out of the building. Once they realized the jeep was started up, they ran to me, yelling, their guns up. I ducked down and rolled up the window. 

  The man shot at the vehicle. But the bullets didn't make it through the black metal, the car was bulletproof. I sped away from the motel, looking back quickly to check if it was clear. Where was I going? What was the amazing plan? I hadn't thought this out. 

I slowed the car down to a stop on the side of the road, and leaned over to grab the map from my bag. Wilson sat lazily on top of it  and wouldn't get off, so I had to push him to reach for the map that sat right at the bottom. I pulled it out and opened it up in front of me. I looked at the detailed route blankly. To know where I was going, I first needed to know where I was. I studied the  bleak street. There weren't any signs or posts telling me where I was or how far I was from a post. I started the car up again, chucked the map in the back seat after failing to fold it up again, and drove forward.  Hopefully I would find something. Anything.