CHAPTER 16

I watched the guards carry Max's dead body out of the corridor, leaving the blood stain on the door. "You killed him!" I screamed, straining the straps that fastened me down. I was crying, the tears rolled down my cheeks and over me furious, twisted lips, under it, gritted teeth.

"Oh no, my dear. No, no, no, you see it is not I who have sinned, you have killed him," She replied calmly brushing aside her yellow-blonde hair with her wicked fingers, her artificial accent making me sick to my core. She beckoned the mutants over, they were still holding the serum.

"You see, Alex, Max was a fugitive, a rebel, a criminal. There's only one way to save our society from people like that. Either live like us, or not live at all. What's your pick?" her revolting smile spread across her pale- skinned face, her eyes looking deep into mine. I felt uneasy, and looked away.

"You're disgusting. I would rather die than be like you,"

"Like me? You're already like me, darling. I'm human, just like you. I chose the good life. Craig has given me everything I have ever wanted and more. Join me,"

Did she think I was an idiot? She was literally 5 inches away from the injector. Did she seriously think she'd let me live as a human? And besides, if Max could wear contacts, she could too. She wasn't human.

"You can go ahead and kill me. I'm never joining you and your robots,"

"Very well. Lock her up!" she said beckoning to the guard as the mutants in lab coats unstrapped me.

"You're not going to shoot me?" I said spitefully as I was grabbed harshly by the arm,

"Oh god no! I have people to do that for me," she brushed her fingers along my face, which I immediately shook off. She smirked and walked out into the corridor.

I woke up. This was the furthest I had gone in this dream. I think i'm delusional. All these years alone has turned me into a psychopath.

  I got up and rubbed my eyes, taking out the dust that stuck to the creases. I yawned and then let out a frustrated sigh. I hated my life. If I should even call it that anymore.

  This was a living hell, and I was forced to take it on...alone.