CHAPTER 67

I stood before the three, still in shock, I wasn't expecting this,

"B-but what about your father?" I finally manage to say,

"When my mother died, he stopped being a 'father', he became my leader. He doesn't care if we live or die, he just wants vengeance," Cal responds,

"So you're going against him?"

"Not necessarily against him, just not with him"

Will was quiet the whole time and Logan just stared in disbelief. So the plan would run as usual, what's there to worry about?

"Oh, yeah, and the cars are gone," Will puts in,

I remembered. Shit.

"Yes, we know. We decided to move them, to put them away somewhere where they won't be discovered"

"You guys have them? Do you know what happened to the troop then?" I ask,

"They were taken by mutants, right?" Max joins,

Cal looks at Simon and then Simon looks at Connor as they nod their head ever so slightly, "We have them"

"Are you freaking insane?!" I yell, "You can't just kidnap people!"

"We needed more recruits, and we got some, no harm done," Connor says casually, looking at the still, tied-up bodies in one of the subway's rooms,

"Well, they're no good if they're dead," Logan sighs, inspecting them,

"They're not dead, we just injected them with something"

"You drugged them?!" I say, rubbing my temples with my forefingers,

"No, we just gave them something to make them quiet"

I walked over to Rodriguez's body and put my fingers to his neck, finding a pulse. He was alive. This was wrong.

"You need to let them go," I shake my head,

"We can't, they know too much"

"Well then make them forget!"

"How, by giving them your amnesia? That stuff doesn't exist anymore. We need to go through with this. Just let us plan this, you aren't calling the shots here"

I shake my head again and head towards the exit,

"Alex, wait!" Will calls out, "Maybe they're right. We do need more people and-"

"Will, what they're doing is wrong, I'm out"

He called after me, but I ignore him and kept on walking.

I made my way to base but stopped when I remembered Dylan. I changed direction and headed towards the abandoned building he stayed in, not thinking twice. Dylan being alive gave me hope. The fact he started remembering, made me want to go through with the plan even more. Maybe we will actually have a chance to defeat this virus.

Walking into the room where I had left him, I looked around, waiting to hear his voice greet me. But it was silent. 

"Dylan!" I called stepping in and surrounding myself with the grey walls. Something wasn't right. I peeped around every corner and in every possible hiding spot, my gun in front of me. 

But he was...

Gone.

I hurriedly checked the other areas of the building, from top to bottom, but he wasn't there. He had vanished. What if they caught him? Craig? Crap.

Dylan was my only brother, even though he's older than me, I still consider him my responsibility even though it should be the other way around.

Maybe he had gone back to base?

No.

Maybe he just went out for some air?

No.

Mutants took him back to Craig?

Maybe.

I jogged back to base, with no other option. It was getting dark and being out in the open at night wasn't the safest choice. It didn't mean I was giving up on looking for Dylan, no, I just need to think, to plan, I shouldn't be chaotic and frantic, I need to handle this with control.

Just as I reached for the door lock, it automatically flung open, scaring me. Max faced me and clearly he had also been startled by the strange figure that stood before him.

"Alex, we need to talk," is all he says before pulling me inside and shutting the door quickly,

"What about?"

He just ignored my question and pulled me up the stairs to his room and locked his door. I was confused and nervous but at the same time I felt safer.

"Bek wants you to join the team in the next heist," he says, switching the lights on,

"Me?" I squint through the sudden brightness,

"Apparently they need an extra shooter since Rodriguez is with you know who"

I couldn't believe it. Bek actually thought I was good? I was proud of myself but I didn't know how to feel about the overall situation.

Max snapped me out of my thoughts, "You're not going"

"What?"

"You're not going," he repeats,

"Why not?"

"Because, you don't know how dangerous heists can be. There are mines that blow your feet off under the soil, there are guards everywhere, there are-"

I cut in, "Max, I can handle myself"

"I know you can"

"Then why worry?"

"Because I won't be able to forgive myself if something happens to you"

Then it was quiet. I stood parallel to him just looking down at my feet. I expected him to pull me in and then tell me how much he loved me, but instead, he just opened the door and walked out, leaving me, awkwardly standing in the middle of his room. 

VOTE + COMMENT!