CHAPTER 56

I opened my eyes to the bright white light that immediately hit them. I tried to say something, but my mouth was duct taped as was my body.

"She's awake" One male voice said, different to the one I had heard before,

"Before we let you go, we need to ask you a few questions. Who do you work for and are you familiar with Mr Ridicker?" the other voice said, ripping the tape off my lips, making me wince,

"I don't work for anyone, and I don't know who you're talking about"

"Are you sure? Because we've seen him, and we've seen you. And we know you work for him"

"I told you, I don't work for anyone. You've got the wrong person"

"You don't know Steve Ridicker? White haired man, in his fifties, worked for the government... ring a bell?"

"Bek?" I say, confused, remembering him say his last name was Ridicker,

"Is that what he goes by now?"

"Wait, I'm confused... he told me his name was Bek"

"Becky Ridicker, his wife, died two years ago thanks to Sylvester Craig"

"So his name isn't Bek?"

"Nope. Come on Alex, keep up. He can't be trusted," The man said moving the light out of my face. He took off the tape and helped me up. I pushed him away, "How do you know my name and where's Will?"

"Wow, amnesia? Yeah, we were familiar. Even though we only met once"

"how did you know about the amnesia?"

"Because, we know everything"

"When did we meet?"

"At a dinner party"

"Whatever, I can't remember you. And if we knew each other why did you knock me out?"

"First of all, we didn't know who you were in the darkness, and secondly, you would have alerted 'mutants'"

"Where's Will?"

"Oh, your friend? He's in the back. We were going to kill him but that would be a waste of a human"

"Why would you kill him?"

"He tried to run away. What a wimp"

He was going to leave me?

"Who are you?" I say finally seeing his face,

"I'm Connor Touthe and this is my brother, Simon," he said pointing at the guy behind. Connor seemed younger, about twenty five, and Simon looked in his thirties.

"Let us go"

"Let you go? Why would I let a Steine go?"

"What does that mean?"

"Your father, Derek Steine... great man," he said turning around to grab a bottle of water,

"You knew my father?"

"Yeah, your father worked with our father"

"So? That doesn't mean anything," I say, waking towards the door that trapped Will,

"Don't you know? Your dad worked for Secret Intelligence"

"What? He told me he-"

"Yeah, it has the word 'Secret' in it for a reason"

"Still, you cant just keep us trapped here. If we don't leave the other's will notice"

"Others? Oh, you mean, his 'army'? By the way the plan is ridiculous, everyone is going to die. It's good you're making your own plan"

"How do you know about that?"

"Remember, we know everything"

"We're leaving," I say unlocking the door

"Fine. But remember, Bek is not the good guy"

I opened the door and Will was frantically pacing the room before he saw me and ran up to hug me, "Did they hurt you?" he said scanning me, for injuries,

"No, i'm fine"

He walked past me and grabbed his gun that was lying on the table next to Simon. Before he could react, Will pointed it at them. I quickly snatched the gun from him before he could shoot it, "Will, don't worry. Let's go"

We walked out without another word. They let us leave and we walked back up the subway steps onto the street. It was dark. Shit, it was night. How long were we down there?