CHAPTER 68

I know it isn't right to snoop through someone's things, but being in his room alone, I couldn't help it. I quietly tiptoed to the door and pushed it open, slowly peering both ways down the hall, just in case. Once it was all clear, I tread over to the cabinet and pulled open one of the drawers. It was full of maps and books that weren't much of an interest to me. I pulled open the one underneath it and lifted a small black notebook I hadn't seen before. Opening it, I turned to the first page, which was dated and titled 'Day 1'

'To whoever comes upon this journal, I am Max Wilde, subject 146. I was assigned this book by Craig, to keep track of my mission when completed. Not much progress has been made. The subject's name is Alexandra Steine, age eighteen, 5''7, last location logged, Manhattan.'

He knew where I was this whole time? 

I kept reading, 

'Subject 138, reported her parents, deceased. Other family known, is her her brother, Dylan Steine, currently in captivity, is now subject 273, section 7'

What?! He knew who Dylan was and where he was and he didn't tell me? He knew all this time, but he left me thinking my brother was dead?! Just as I was about to storm out, the door opened, revealing Demi's suspicious face, 

"What are you doing?" he said, not coming in fully,

I quickly put the book down and turned with a fake smile, 

"He just asked me to put some stuff away"

She bought it and nodded and then said, "Come on, we're waiting for you"

Demi walked ahead of me to the subway, apparently Max, Will and Logan were already waiting for us there. Demi was quiet as she slowly swung her gun back and forth by her side, taking cautious steps.

"So, how is it going with you and Will?" she finally says, breaking the awkward silence,

I thought about it before I answered, "Will and I, are on hold"

"On hold?"

"Yeah, we thought the fate of humanity is our number one priority right now"

"We or you?"

I was quiet. It was me, not him, but he caught on the idea as time went by. I liked him, but I didn't love him like I loved Max.

"What about you and Max?" I put in, changing the subject,

"I think Simon and Connor were right"

"About what?"

"About Max and I, we're not...compatible. Besides, he loves you"

I held my breath, "What do you mean?"

"I see how he looks at you, and how you look at him. His mind was always made, he wants you"

I didn't know what to say to Demi. We weren't the best of friends but I felt bad. I didn't know what to tell her, my mouth felt dry and my mind was blank. 

But I knew, this was greater than me, to keep us all alive, we'd have to first save this insane country, take down Craig and find a cure, and then we can worry about relationships. 

The last few minutes of walking were quiet. I just couldn't get twisted in my mind, and Demi just kept walking ahead.

But I loved him.

And he knew it.