CHAPTER 22

I walked around the block. Hoping to run into Wilson, but during that hour, it was too dark to see. I left my flashlight in the store and I had to watch where I was going and not get caught.

I felt like I was being watched. Constantly. I felt strange scuffling noises. I whipped around, squinting, trying to see through the pitch blackness. I saw nothing. I turned around to look to the community of houses. The lights were off, the band of disgusting creatures slept? I looked forward and my heart stopped beating when I felt something rub against my leg. I screamed. Forgetting about the dwellings behind me. I looked down and saw two bright eyes stare up at me. Wilson. I turned quickly and saw the lights flicker one by one, they were waking up. I picked Wilson up and ran. I didn't know where, but all I could do was run through the darkness.

I tripped several times before completely collapsing onto the hard street. I yelped in pain as the sudden vibration echoed in my head, just like it had in the store. I grasped my head with both of my hands, kicking at the ground, trying to fight the pain. Wilson looked at me, keeping his distance, and then he spoke, 'Alex! Get up, you need to find me, I will protect you!'

"Get out of my head! You're not real!" I yelled, dismissing the fact that any second now, a mob of angry mutant citizens could come after me with their sci-fi weapons.

'Alex, listen, take a left from where you are, the walls will guide you through to the end of the alley. At the end, there'll be an entrance. It'll be locked but I'll be able to open it from the other side. Trust me,'

And then the pain, along with his voice disappeared from my mind. I was left with the sounds of footsteps behind me. I couldn't believe I was listening to voice in my head, that could have easily come from me being psychotic. I picked up my belongings, and the cat, and did as I was told, not thinking about the fact that Max was now a threat.

As he had 'said' there was an alleyway. I felt my way along the dry bricked walls. I walked till the feeling of the stone turned to metal. The door. Just before I could bang on the door, I felt a sharp pain pierce my back. Electricity rushed through my body as it crashed to the ground. The last thing that I could see, through my shutting eyes, were the sparks of electricity that lightly danced in my skin.

And then, it went black.