CHAPTER 19

I had driven north for two hours and I was exhausted. I didn't stop, I kept driving. I finally found myself in what seemed like a small town. I looked around for a sign, but couldn't find one. I drove into the community and came across a gas-station. I turned to my bag once more and pulled out a torch and my cap, putting it on, hiding my face. 

I parked next to the fuel-tanks and got down, leaving the stuff in the car, the gun in my hand. I corrected the cap and brushed the stray hairs that wondered along my face. I shut the door. The sound of the door shutting echoed in the desolate environment. I pushed down the handle of the store door and cautiously stepped inside, the bell on the other side of the door swung, ringing as I walked in. It was dark and eerie. The store smelled like sour cream Pringles and pop tarts. I shut the door quietly and tried to see into the darkness to see if it was all clear. When I had assured myself that it was safe, I turned on the torch and shone it ahead. I didn't believe me eyes. 

The shelves were stocked and the coolers were on. Wait. The coolers were on? I walked over to the cooler and opened it. There was boxes of frozen foods, and they were...frozen. Electricity? Could it be? I looked around for a light switch, finding it in the corner of the room. I placed my fingers on top of them. 

I pushed down. 

The light flooded the room. I was shocked. Actual real life electricity, no freaking way. I laughed in amazement as I looked around. Had god finally decided to answer my prayers? Just as I was celebrating, I heard someone's footsteps. I hadn't noticed the small staircase that descended into the store. I quickly ducked down and hid next to the large cooler, it was large enough to cover my body, 

"WHO' S THERE!" I heard a deep voice say reaching the last step. I peeked around the cooler to get a look. The man was huge, holding a shotgun, he was in his late thirties, bald, had a thick orange beard, and he wore overalls. But the one thing I noticed the most. His eyes. Green. SHIT! Ugh, here we go again. All these close encounters didn't come as a surprise anymore being that I was used to it.

"I know you're out here!" He said, walking closer, his gun at his side. I hoisted mine higher, close to my face ready to aim at the target.

"Are you a human, because if you are, you should know that I'm holding a loaded weapon and I'm not afraid to use it," he sounded more scared this time, as if it was his first time running into a human. But what if it was. Possible, but, why did he sound nervous?

I jumped out, it was now or never. "Put your gun down!" I yelled holding my gun up, aiming it at his head. He immediately reacted by dropping the gun, a reaction I wasn't expecting.