Excerpt

“They are so caught up in their happiness that they don't realize I'm not really a part of it. I am wandering along the periphery. I am like the people in the Winslow Homer paintings, sharing the same room with them but not really there. I am like the fish in the aquarium, thinking in a different language, adapting to a life that's not my natural habitat. I am the people in the other cars, each with his or her own story, but passing too quickly to be noticed or understood.

. . . There are moments I just sit in my frame, float in my tank, ride in my car and say nothing, think nothing that connects me to anything at all.” 

― David Levithan, Every Day

*                           *                          *

I felt his long fingers wrap around my wrist, stopping me from straying too far down the hall. His grip was gentle, but firm enough to let me know that I should listen to what he wanted to say.

My body turned to face his, and once our eyes met there was a moment of silence between us.

"He's no good for you," he told me in a soft tone. His voice basically a whisper.

I raised my brows challengingly, trying to ignore how my pulse quickened just from looking at him. "Then who is?"

"Not him," the boy responded plainly, like it was the most obvious answer in the world, before letting go of me and backing away until he was in his dorm room.

A month and a half ago if you had asked me what I thought I'd be doing now, it certainly wasn't this. One question just kept running through my mind:

Then who is?

*                           *                          *

(A/N) Hey everyone, just wanted to give a heads up that this fanfiction will have mature themes to it (yes, there will be smut) and even though the boys in this story might act like/have similar personalities to the boys in real life, they're still just characters here. So they might say or do something that you feel is OOC and that's kind of the point, because they're just characters here in my story. Hope that makes sense and happy reading! :)