2. Old and New Friends

We all sat round the fire, I pulled my knees to my chest and rested my chin on them, looking into the dancing flames. I had gone through almost half of the bottle of tequila and they had finished the vodka, but Matt had brought another bottle of vodka and Damon had brought a very expensive looking bottle of whiskey. Ok that caught my eye, in a way my mother would only describe as rude, I held my hand out for it. Without me having to ask Damon knew what I wanted and handed it over. I took a small sip first, it was without doubt the smoothest whiskey I had ever tasted. I lowered a large mouthful then handed it back. I could see the surprise on his face. He clearly was not used to girls being able to handle their whiskey.

I sat staring into the flames, I could hear them all talking about school and dances and things I had at this moment in time absolutely no interest in. All I kept thinking was how unfair it all was, I never even got to say goodbye. I felt rather than saw someone sit beside me. Damon's voice was soft as he spoke, "I heard about your parents. I'm sorry."

I took a minute to answer, my gaze never leaving the dancing flames, "I just don't understand it. I remember once when I was about four or five, I was with my parents in the car and my dad ran over a cat. I cried for days, wouldn't talk to him I was so mad. He tried to explain that he could try and swerve and not hit the cat but then we could have hit something else and been hurt, or worse. Of course at that age I couldn't fully understand it but as an adult I do. I don't understand why he swerved for that dog."

I passed the bottle to him and he took a swig, I couldn't help it, tears started to fall again. I hated it. Before I realised what was happening Damon had put his arm around my shoulders and I leaned in against him, keeping my face covered. I didn't want the others to see me cry again. I had to get out of here. I stood up, wobbly at first but Damon stood as well and steadied me.

"I'm going home."

Straight away voices started talking all at once, "Of course." "I'll drive you." "Stay with us tonight."

I cut them all off, "Not one of us is sober enough to drive, and my house is just past the Lockwood's that way, you all live in the opposite direction. And please do not take this the wrong way, but I want to be on my own right now."

They tried to argue at first but I was adamant. Damon offered me the bottle of whiskey and I took it with a smile. They had all lost someone and I think they all knew that I just needed to be on my own. 

 As I made my way through the woods I continued to drink, my feet were getting more unsteady but it was easy enough to see my way with the moon shining so brightly above me. I was almost out of the trees when I heard a noise behind me, I turned quickly, losing my balance and landing flat on my back. I found this particularly funny and started giggling, I tried to sit up but my head decided that it was more comfortable where it was. Maybe I should have eaten something today, or more importantly I shouldn't have drunk so much. Fuck it, I lay where I was and lifted the bottle to my lips and took another mouthful, however laying down makes it that little bit more difficult. I could feel some of the alcohol spill down my chin. Once again I found myself giggling, I didn't even know why.

"I think you've had enough love!"

I opened one eye while still giggling like a school girl. Standing above me was a man I had never seen before. He looked taller than me, but then I was lying on the ground with no good judgement in height. He had short curly blond hair, amazing blue eyes, nice body and an English accent.

"Sexy!"

From the look on his face I realised that instead of thinking that, I may have said it out loud, which made me giggle even more. I held the bottle up to him, "Maybe you 'aven't had enough... love!" I slurred back at him. He took the bottle from me with a smirk and sat down beside me, his back leaning against a tree. He took a swig of the whiskey then handed me back the bottle.