5. Do I Believe in What?

The last of the guests left, the servers were also gone, but only after they had cleaned up everything. Today wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.

I settled into the sitting room with my friends. I had asked them to stay. Although the way they were all staring at me made me slightly uncomfortable, ignoring that I turned to the two brothers.

"I'm very sorry, I know I met you last night but I honestly can't remember your names."

The taller one chuckled, and taking my hand and bowing, introduced himself. "Damon Salvatore, at your service." I couldn't help but smile as he continued, "And that younger, more serious looking one is Stefan Salvatore. My younger brother and Elena's hunni bunni."

He raised my hand to his lips and kissed the back of it.

"We'll Mr Salvatore, it's a pleasure to meet you!" I exclaimed, lowering myself in a mock curtsey.

"It's good to see you smile Jenni, even if it is a small one," Elena interrupted, "but we were just wondering about the guy you met, the blonde one."

I sat back down, "Oh you mean Nik. Yeah he seems cool." I kept my voice neutral, they didn't need to know I thought he seemed so much more than cool.

Stefan joined the conversation, "What were you guys talking about outside?"

"Not much," I looked down at my bracelet as I spoke, "I was thanking him for helping me today with the servers and that. Then he gave me a present."

Bonnie looked pissed off, but I had no idea why. Had I done something wrong?

"Why would he give you a present?" she almost spat the question at me. I got angry back at her.

"Because today is my birthday! I turned 21 and he didn't want the only memory I have of today being the memory of burying both my parents." I all but shouted back at her.

Well that stopped them all in their tracks, for all of a second. Then they were all gushing,

"Oh god, Jenni, I'm so sorry..."

"We forgot..."

"We didn't mean..."

I put my hand up to stop them, I wasn't mad at them. Obviously other things happened today that where far more important than a birthday. Suddenly I was wrapped in a group hug. I pulled myself out of the group.

Caroline spoke up, "What did he give you? Do you mind me asking?"

"Not at all, " I smiled lifting my wrist to show them. Caroline came closer for a better look.

"It's beautiful Jenni," She started, reaching out to run her finger over the delicate design. But as soon as she touched it she let out a yelp of pain, dropped my hand and was suddenly the other side of the room holding her own hand to her chest.

Everyone was staring at me, but I was staring at Caroline. "How the hell did you do that?"

No one answered me and suddenly Damon was standing right in front of me holding up my hand. He very cautiously touched my bracelet with the tip of his index finger, and pulled back wincing. He turned to the others.

"There's vervain on her bracelet."

They all started talking, ignoring me. Well screw that,

"HEY!!!!" I screamed loudly. They all stopped talking and turned back to face me. I took a deep breath, "What the hell is going on?"

They looked at each other, as if waiting for someone to take the lead. Screw this. I walked out, leaving them all there. As I made my way off the porch, Stefan was standing in front of me, blocking my path.

"Jennifer, wait..."

I pushed him out of the way and kept walking. Without turning my head I shouted into them, "And no one better follow me."

I walked in the opposite direction which would lead me to Mystic Falls. My heart was racing and as I walked I was trying to go through what happened. How did my bracelet hurt Caroline and Damon, but not me? How did Caroline get across the room so fast? Or how did Stefan get out in front of me when I hadn't seen him move? That was beyond not normal, and might have something to do with why my friends had been acting weird since I got back.

I stopped walking and looked up at the sky.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?" I screamed at no one in particular.

"If you really want to know, I'll tell you." I didn't expect an answer, so when I got one I let out a frightened scream and spun around to the owner of the voice. Nik was standing there, his hands raised in front of him as if I might attack him. Which right now, I had to admit I didn't know what I was likely to do. I just wanted the truth.

I eyed him warily as I sat down on a flat rock. He sat across from me, and looking me straight in the eye, with a grim expression, he spoke. 

"Do you believe in Vampires?"