40. Waiting

Back at the mansion I was pacing back and forth in front of the fire place in the sitting room. 'Bekah was sitting close to Elijah on the couch. It was like she was afraid he would disappear if she took her eyes of him for even a moment. Elena was sitting in the armchair in the corner. Her eyes, filled with hate, never left me.

It had been nearly three hours since we left the boarding house and I was getting impatient. Finally Elijah spoke up,

"Jennifer, I must ask you to please stop the pacing before you actually wear a hole in the wood."

I turned to face him, my fists clenching at my sides. I could see the startled look on Elijah's face when I looked at him. I knew the anger I wore was from more than just the thought of losing Nik. It was also the result of the werewolf venom working its way through my system.

"They should have been here by now!" I shouted, wiping sweat from my forehead.

Rebekah was by my side in an instant. "Don't worry. They'll be here soon. Then Nik will give you his blood and you two will be back to making me sick with all your lovey dovey crap."

I tried to smile at her, but part of me also wanted to wipe that optimistic expression off her face. I took a few deep breaths, tried to concentrate, but it was getting harder.

"Here's hoping they're too late to help you." Elena spat out from the corner.

I heard a growl and before I even realised it came from me I was on top of Elena.

"You know, I said we'd trade you for Nik... I didn't specify if you would still have your heart at the time of trading." I warned her.

I saw fear flash in her eyes before I was pulled off her. Elijah held me by the shoulders.

"Jennifer... focus on my voice."

But I couldn't. I couldn't focus on him or Rebekah. I could only focus on the man standing behind them.

"No... you can't be here..." I whispered at him.

It was the barman that I killed. He was just standing there, staring at me. His skin pale white and his eyes void of life. Blood was pouring from a wound on his neck.

He laughed. "What?" He sneered, "You think you can kill me... end my life while you get to live yours. How is that fair?"

I shut my eyes, tried to block him out.

"Is that true Jennifer? Did you really kill him?"

I spun at the new voice. "Daddy?"

I took a step towards him, my hand stretching out to him but he backed away from me. "Stay away from me. You're no daughter of mine, you're an abomination." He shouted.

"Daddy please." I begged, tears in my eyes. But he kept talking.

"Please what? You're a monster... a killer. You should have died that day at the cabin!"

I covered my ears and squeezed my eyes shut. This couldn't be real, I kept telling myself. But my father's voice was inside my head now, mocking me.

"Your mother was right about you. You were always weak... always pathetic. Why do you think we never told you about all of this?"

______________________

Rebekah, Elijah and Elena watched Jennifer as she first looked off into what seemed like empty space, talking to herself.

"What the hell is wrong with her?" Elena asked as Jennifer shut her eyes and covered her ears.

"She's hallucinating. It's the wolf venom." Rebekah explained, "Don't you recognise the symptoms? From what I've heard Jennifer went through this before protecting you and those utter wankers you call friends."

Elena opened her mouth to say something when Jennifer suddenly snarled and lunged at her, knocking her from where she sat but before Jennifer could hurt Elena, Rebekah pulled her friend back and held her.

"Elijah, get Elena out of here."

Elijah looked unsure but his sisters' tone left no room for questions. He nodded curtly and then Rebekah and Jennifer were alone in the room. Rebekah grabbed Jennifer by the shoulders and shook her.

"Jennifer love, snap out of it. Whatever you're seeing is not real. It's just you and me here."

Jennifer's eyes, which had been darting around the room started to focus on Rebekah.

"''Bekah?" Jennifer's voice came out quiet and broken, her eyes searching the blonde originals. Rebekah started to relax but it didn't last when the wild look returned to Jennifer's eyes. Rebekah pulled Jennifer into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry!" she whispered, before breaking her friends' neck, catching her as she fell. Just as Rebekah was gently laying Jennifer on the couch her brother walked in pulling Elena behind him. When he saw Jennifer's unmoving body he raised an eyebrow in question.

Rebekah just shrugged, "It's the only way to ensure she doesn't hurt herself or someone else. Also I'm hoping it might slow down the spread of the venom." Rebekah's voice filled with sadness, "I don't think she's going to last much longer 'Lijah."

"She might not have to sister," Elijah explained, "I just received a phone call from Stefan. They are ready to make the trade."

Rebekah's face brightened, "Well then... let's go get our idiot of a brother back so he can save my idiot of a friend."

Elijah couldn't help but notice the sincerity behind the sarcasm in his sister's voice when she used the word friend. In all the time he had spent with her as a vampire he hadn't known her to have friends. She had acquaintances or people she compelled. She had loved passionately and had her heart broken so many times. But a friend?

His gaze fell to the lifeless body of Jennifer. He was really looking forward to getting to know the girl who, in such a short time, had come to mean so much to his family. 

Of course, if they didn't hurry, he might not get the chance.