4. Happy Birthday to Me

“Blonde guy sends his regards.”

And with that she turned to serve someone else. Confused, I turned to face the room. Tyler, Caroline and Elena had been joined by Jeremy, Bonnie and those two guys I met last night whose names I couldn’t recall.

Ok they really looked pissed off. It looked as if they were heading towards me when they stopped abruptly. I followed their eyes, and there standing in the middle of the room was blonde guy. I don’t think he was aware of the evil looks he was getting from a lot of the people in the room. I felt a smile forming on my lips as I walked over to him.

“I can’t believe you did this for me. How did you pull it off so quickly?”

Instead of answering me he held out his arm. I put mine through it and he led me outside. We stopped at one of the benches in the middle of the garden and sat. Then he spoke,

“I know what it’s like to lose someone. Your head is all over the place. So I just wanted to help, the people serving in there are my mates.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I just threw my arms around him and hugged tightly. I could feel his surprise but I didn’t care. He hugged me back after a second, “Easy love, its ok. I have another surprise for you though.”

I pulled back, “What?”

He handed me a small black velvet box, holding it I looked up into his eyes. “I can’t take this. I don’t even know your name.”

“Call me Nik.”

“Nik, I can’t... I mean you don’t even know me.” I was close to rambling.

“Listen love,” he said softly, “Today is your 21st. You can’t let the fact that it’s also the day you bury your parents be the only the only thing you remember about today. Now please, before you hurt my feelings, accept your birthday present.”

With a small smile I opened the box, and my mouth fell open. Oh my god. It was the most beautiful bracelet I had ever seen, it looked like strands of silver had been entwined over and over into a very delicate looking plait. I gently lifted it out of the box.

“God Nik, it’s beautiful. I can’t...”

He took it out of my hand, cutting me off. “What did I say?”

I held out my wrist so he could put it on me. I kept my eyes on him as he fastened the clasp. I was slightly confused by the brief look of pain on his face but it was gone as quickly as it had appeared.  When he sat back I threw my arms around him again, “Thank you Nik. Thank you so much, for everything.”

“It’s ok sweetheart.” He laughed, but then I felt his body stiffen and he pulled back. “I think your friends want you.”

I looked over to the house and saw Caroline watching us. How did he know? I stood and started back towards her, then paused about to turn when Nik’s voice spoke low in my ear. I hadn’t realised he was so close. It sent a shiver through my body. “I'll see you soon love.”

 And then he was gone. With a small but almost genuine smile, the first since I had heard from Sheriff Forbes, I headed up to my friends.