35. Not a Care in the World

Nik, Rebekah and I were sitting around the table in the dining room. Normally I prefer to eat in the kitchen, but there was the little fact that Nik broke the table in there... when I threw him into it.

So here we were, eating dinner. Well I was. I raised my eyebrow at the original siblings who were looking at their plates like the food would try and eat them. I sighed,

"For god's sake you big babies, just try it."

They still looked doubtful,

"What is it again?" Rebekah asked.

"It's a freaking doner kebab. Doner meat, chilli and garlic sauce, onions and red cabbage... all shoved into pita bread." I took another bite of mine.

"This was my favourite takeout food back in New York, although I didn't get it too often, afraid of the whole weight gain problem." I rambled on, "Which is one of the awesome things about being a vampire of course, don't have to worry about that anymore."

I paused in my ramble to look up. Nik and Rebekah were looking at me with an odd expression before they both broke into a fit of laughter. Being the emotionally mature vampire that I was, I immediately stuck my tongue out at them.

"Seriously," I asked, "You're like a thousand years old. How have you never had a kebab?"

"Because I have taste." Bekah smiled at me.

I pouted at them, "Please... for me?"

Giving each other one last look they both readied themselves to try the food. They each took a bite, getting sauce all around their mouths. But I could tell by the surprised looks on their faces they enjoyed it all the same. I couldn't help the smirk on my lips. Nik laughed at the mess on Rebekah's face, and she just laughed back at him. As I watched this I realised something.

I was happy.

This was such a wonderfully normal family dinner. Ever since coming back to this town I had been drowning my sorrow with drink or fighting for my life. But watching Nik and Bekah getting along, and the way they both looked fondly at me... all over something as simple as dinner. I felt my smirk grow into a smile.

After Rebekah wiped her mouth on her napkin she kept her head down and spoke as if to no one in particular.

"You know, I was thinking that as I've been daggered for a while, the style has probably changed a lot. I might need a whole new wardrobe."

Although she had been looking down at her plate I could see her eyes were now peeking at her brother. Obviously she was letting him know he would be paying. She didn't really have money. When you spend most of your time daggered in a box I suppose it's hard to save.

Nik sighed and parted his lips to speak, but I got in there first.

"You know 'Bekah..." I paused to see how she would react to me using Nik's pet name for her, when she didn't I continued.

"I feel the new me needs a new wardrobe too. How about we go shopping tomorrow? My treat."

She looked unsure for all of a second, and then her face broke into a large grin. "Sounds good."

I saw the look of relief wash over Nik's face and felt the need to mess with him. "Of course," I continued, "We'll still need Nik to come with us. I'll need his opinion on what I'm buying."

He started to protest. I cold tell he was picturing the horror of following two women from shop to shop for several hours. I ignored his protests and fluttered my eyelids at him. "I'll be very... appreciative."

I let the innuendo hang there for a moment until realisation set in. He raised his eyebrows and wiggled them suggestively at me as Rebekah made a gagging noise at us causing me to laugh. The three of us continued our dinner as 'Bekah and Nik filled me in on embarrassing stories about each others childhood.

It was like we hadn't a care in the world.

*************

Tyler was on the phone to Bonnie.

"Just what did Jeremy tell her Bonnie? Am I safe here?"

Bonnie spoke quickly, afraid of being overheard, "Yes you're safe. All he got out was that we didn't fully trust her... you, me and him. I got to her before he could say more."

Tyler breathed out a breath he hadn't realised he had been holding. They were so close to the finish line he could taste it... to lose it all now would be unbearable.

"Is everybody ready?" He asked for the hundredth time. Bonnie sighed as she answered him for the hundredth time. "Yes. They know we're right about this Ty. It's the only way!"

"And Caroline?" Tyler asked. Bonnie paused for a second before answering. "We decided not to tell her. We can't risk her telling Jennifer."

Tyler thought about that for a moment. He hated keeping Caroline in the dark, but Bonnie was right. Caroline loved Jennifer, she might feel obliged to warn her... or worse, help her. They quickly said their goodbyes and hung up. Tyler turned and made his way back to the mansion.

Just two more days and it would all be over.