23. What's the Worst that can Happen?

As Nik stood holding the heart he couldn't tear his eyes from me, I was aware of how I looked. My clothes were ripped, my hair was dishevelled and I was covered in blood, some my own and some from the hybrids. I turned from him and walked back into the house, Stefan was sitting up, his hand covering the hole in his chest which was slowly healing. Damon and Caroline were drinking from blood bags. I walked over to them and lifted two of the blood bags sitting in front of Caroline, then knelt in front of Stefan. I started to offer him the blood bag but he put his hand up.

"I can't... not human blood..." he whispered.

I shrugged then stood, "Well, you might want to reconsider your diet right now. We have another guest. You might need your strength."

I saw as three pairs of eyes flew to something behind me. I turned over the sofa that was dealt the least amount of damage and sat in it. The silence in the room was deafening. Nobody moved, nobody spoke. The only sound was me, draining the two blood bags. Only then did I raise my eyes to him. I ignored the spark I felt every time I saw him, pushed it as far down as I could.

I watched him as his eyes scanned the room, taking in the dead bodies of his precious hybrids. He took a step closer to Caroline and Damon. I could see them tense but before he took his second step I stood between them, a growl escaped between my lips and once again I felt my face change. He stopped moving.

"Where is my doppelganger?" Klaus's voice was low and calm. And something told me that he being this calm was very very dangerous. Holding my head high I moved ever so slightly closer to him, I was proud of myself for how steady I kept my voice as I spoke,

"I'm sorry. But you don't have a doppelganger. We have a friend and sister, her name is Elena. That is who she is and what she is, and she does NOT belong to you or anyone but herself."

I could see his calm slipping, "This has nothing to do with you Jennifer, keep out of it."

I couldn't help the smirk that formed on my face, "Nothing to do with me? See that..." I pointed to the dead hybrid in the corner, "I did that. And you saw what I did at the door. You think you can come here, attack my friends, try and kidnap my other friends and what? You think I'll sit back and watch?"

I moved closer to him, his eyes never left mine as I continued to speak, "Or maybe you thought that I would join you. That I would run to you and hold your hand and help you....."

My sentence was cut short when before anyone could react, Klaus had me against the wall, his hand around my throat. Damon ran at him but Klaus flung him across the room without any effort at all, never letting his grasp on me loosen. I was gasping at this point, gripping onto his wrist. I could see that Caroline was trying to figure out what to do, but when she caught my eye I shook my head slightly. I didn't want them dying for me.

"Do you honestly think that I won't kill you? That because I showed pity on you in your cabin that you mean absolutely anything to me?" Klaus spat the words at me as he squeezed his hand tighter. I was aware of Stefan shouting but I tuned all that out. I could barely breathe but I managed to get one word out.

"Compulsion..."

I saw confusion cross his face and his grip on me loosened, ever so slightly. "What are you talking about?" he asked.

"I'm a vampire now, surely you remember what happens to a person who has been compelled when they are in transition? All the memories come back." I choked out.

His hand dropped from my neck and I fell to the ground, Caroline rushed to my side but I pushed her away and stood up. Klaus was looking at me with wide eyes.

I laughed, "Oh my god. You did forget." I could see the anger building on his face again, but I didn't stop, "Maybe you need me to remind you..."

I pushed him too far, he let out a growl and once again had me by the throat. He moved his head closer to mine until his lips were at my ear.

"Listen very carefully sweetheart. You mean nothing to me, if you push me I will rip your pretty little head from your shoulders without so much as a hesitation. Do not get in my way again and stay the hell away from my hybrids."

With that Klaus dropped me and in a flash was gone, leaving the four of us staring at eachother. Damon spoke first,

"Jennifer, the way you stood between us and Klaus... I don't know how to thank you..."

I put my hand up, cutting him off. "I didn't just do it for you, I did it for Caroline, and Elena and even Stefan. Speaking of which, where is Elena?"

"She's at Bonnie's. Klaus and his hybrids have never been invited in there. It's the safest place for her at the moment. But we should go check on her."

Stefan's voice was still weak but determined. The best thing for him would be human blood and rest, but that would never happen, not as long as Elena was in danger. I had to admit I was starting to warm to Stefan, his morals. Damon and Caroline were going to go with him to check on Elena and asked me if I wanted to join them but honestly I just wanted to shower and sleep.

I turned on the shower in the ensuite of my new bedroom, while the water got hot I looked over myself in the mirror over the sink. I really did look like I had gone to battle. Was this what my life was now, trying to protect the good, fighting the bad. And who got to decide who was good and who was bad? I protected someone who hurt my family, from someone who wants to hurt my friend.

Is this what life as a vampire was like?

Shaking my head I stripped out of the bloody ripped clothes and stepped into the shower. The hot water felt like heaven on my muscles. As I washed the blood from my body I noticed that pretty much all the cuts and wounds I had received had healed. Which I had to admit was defiantly a cool part of being a vampire. The only wound I seemed to still have, was on the top of my left shoulder and it was still sore. I realised it was a bite mark. I remembered the hybrid in the hall snapping at me when he was on top of me, I hadn't realised he had actually bitten me.

Stupid Hybrid! 

Shrugging I grabbed the shampoo and started washing my hair. After all, I was a vampire now, I didn't have to worry about another vampire biting me... even if it was a hybrid.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen?