39. Hearts All Around

When I got to the library they were all still so engrossed in celebrating that they didn't even notice me enter. I was standing were Tyler had stood only moments ago, pouring myself a large drink when I heard Elena gasp my name.

I ignored them until I had finished pouring the drink and taken a mouthful. They were all staring at me, not saying a word. I smiled at Elena, a smile that made her wince.

"Hey 'Lena," I made my voice sound cheerful, "How are you?"

She looked at the others uneasily before answering me. "I'm ok?" she said it more like a question than an answer.

I took another mouthful before speaking. "Well that's a relief. I was afraid that driving a piece of wood into my back and then snapping my neck might have left you a tad upset. Good to see it didn't."  My voice had lost its cheerfulness, now it came out low and dangerous. "But don't worry, I'll return the favour!"

Jeremy stepped in front of his sister. I laughed a cold empty laugh. "Please, like you could stop me!"

Damon, Stefan and Tyler moved towards me. "But we can." Damon growled. I put my hand up, making a stop gesture. "Tyler, you broke the sire bond? Good for you." The sarcasm dripped from each word I spoke, "Now, boys... I just have two questions."

They paused, not taking their eyes of me as I took another mouthful. On the outside I knew I looked calm, but my mind was in over drive. I was trying to figure a way to do this without getting killed.

I looked at them and smiled again. They were all facing me so none of them appeared to notice a very pissed off Rebekah standing in the doorway behind them.

 I cleared my throat, "First question... who daggered Rebekah? From what I remember in the journals it has to be a human, so which one was it?"

Bonnie had been standing by Jeremy's side behind the others but now she took a step away from them so I could see her. "I did it... and we both know you can't touch me." She said proudly, a smirk on her lips.

"Well, that's a relief!" I stated, surprising them all.

"Well," I continued, holding their attention, "You could drop me with a wave of your witchy hand. But..." I lingered on the 'but', everybody leaning that teensy bit closer to hear what I had to say.

"But, if I got into the house without you all knowing and... I don't know... made my way to the basement, un-daggered 'Bekah, distracted you all so she could fully wake up and then finally let her know who to go after first then..."

Too late!

Too late it dawned on them.

Too late they turned towards Rebekah. She had already come up behind Bonnie. They all turned just in time to see the original sister snap the neck of the last Bennett witch.

Bonnie's body slumped to the ground in the same second an ear splitting scream wrenched it's way from Elena's throat. She dropped to her knees beside her friend, tears pouring down over her cheeks. Damon, Stefan, Tyler and Jeremy just watched her, frozen in shock where they stood.

"Excuse me!" I shouted, gathering their attention. Oh.... they were so not happy with me. "My second question, which you've probably all guessed," I paused for a second before continuing, this time emphasising each word as I spoke it,

"Where... is... my... hunni... bunni?"

That seemed to snap them out of whatever trance they were all in. Damon and Stefan rushed at Rebekah while Tyler ran at me. Elena stayed with Bonnie and Jeremy stayed with his sister. Rebekah was handling the Salvatore's while I managed to use Tyler's run at me to side step, grab him and use his own momentum to throw him into the shelves, sending books everywhere.

My eyes flew to Elena and I realised, as ever, there was one way to get them to listen to me. I reached her in half a second, Jeremy tried to stop me but one good hit and he was on the ground dazed.

Elena looked up at me, hatred burning behind her eyes. "Why didn't you just die when Damon killed you?" she spat at me. Ignoring the question I reached for her... but was pulled away.

Tyler stood behind me, his left arm around my waist while his right hand grabbed my hair pulling my head to the side, exposing my neck. I felt his teeth scrape at my skin but he didn't puncture it... yet.

"STOP!" he roared. When Rebekah saw us she froze, giving the brothers the chance to grab her. Jeremy was groaning and starting to stand up when Damon shouted to him, "Get down to the cell and get the dagger." He then turned to Elena, "You know where we keep the white oak ash, go get it."

Ok, so this was not going according to plan. I couldn't let it end like this. "Rebekah, do not worry about me. You can take them. Let me go and just save Nik." She looked torn as she watched me, shaking her head.

Goddamn Mikaelson stubbornness.

"Did you really think you could win?" Tyler asked, laughing in my ear. A laugh which abruptly turned to a gurgling noise. From the looks on the faces of everyone facing us there was obviously something happening behind me and judging from the smile Rebekah was now wearing, hopefully it was something that would help us.

"Elijah!" Rebekah whispered, causing me to have a small smile of my own. Maybe we had a chance after all.

Elijah spoke, his voice calm. "Let Miss Fell go and I will let you go."

I was confused for all of a second. The gurgling noise Tyler had made... my guess was Elijah had Tyler by the heart.

"You think this is over..." the hybrid managed to grunt out, "you think you have won? Think again..." and with that I felt his teeth pierce my skin.

It lasted half a second before his grip on me went slack, before he fell to the ground. But as someone who went through it before, I knew half a second was enough for the venom to be in my system. I spun where I stood and there he was, the oldest living Mikaelson... or non-living I suppose, depending on how you looked at it.

Tyler lay unmoving at his feet, the hybrid heart in his hand. Dropping the heart and stepping over the body he quickly looked at my neck. "I'm sorry!" he whispered when he saw the bite.

I shrugged it off. "We can worry about it later."

In the next second while Damon and Stefan were still trying to catch up with everything, I was standing behind Elena. I don't think she even realised I had moved. Her gaze stuck to Tyler's body, it was like she was in a trance.

Damon, Stefan and Jeremy however weren't and they all took a step towards me. They all quickly froze again though when I shoved my hand through Elena's back and wrapped my fingers around her heart.

This really was a good way to get people's attention. She snapped out of the trance and her eyes swung around to meet mine.

"Why?" she coughed out.

I looked from her confused expression to the others. "Seriously?" I couldn't believe she was asking that. How many times would I have to explain?

 In the end I just shrugged, "Why not?" I answered her before turning my attention to the hate filled gazes of Jeremy and the Salvatore boys.

"Now..." I began, "This is how it's going to work. I'm going to take precious here. If you want her back you will bring Nik to us at the mansion. If you don't want her to have to choose between you... well you see where this is going. Simply put, Nik for Elena."

As soon as I finished speaking we were gone. Stefan looked at the bodies of his fallen friends then turned to his brother. "Go get Klaus." He then turned to Jeremy. "Don't worry, we'll get her back." 

Jeremy just looked at him, almost through him, "We should have listened to Caroline."