22. Have a Heart... or Two

I awoke to a loud crash, for a second I didn't know where I was then it came back. I was in the Salvatore's boarding house. Caroline had shown me to a bedroom and I must have fallen asleep. Now I could hear shouting, I ran down the stairs to see what the commotion was and before I could blink I was at the bottom of the stairs. Ok... apparently I can move very very fast. That's something I will have to get used to. There was another loud crash coming from the sitting area of the house but before I could get in there somebody came flying past me, crashing into the hall wall. I ran to them to help them up. I didn't know who he was but he looked very familiar.

"Here, let me help you. Are you ok? What's going on?"

The man growled at me, "We're here for the doppelganger, and we have orders to kill anyone that gets in our way."

And with that he lunged at me, I let out a scream and tried to run from him but he was on top of me in seconds. I pushed my hands against his chest to try and push him off me but he was so much stronger than me and I was struggling. He then lowered his head and started snapping his teeth at me, he was trying to bite me. Oh, he was a vampire. While I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on here while trying to stay alive another part of my brain was reminding me what... or rather who... the doppelganger was.

Elena... they were here to try and take Elena. I don't know what snapped in me, all I know was that I refused to lose another person, I was not going to let my group say goodbye to another loved one. I had never felt such anger and hatred pour through me, not even when I found out what Damon had done to me and my parents. With a roar I threw my attacker back off me, he was stunned for a second when a hand came through his chest. I looked past him to see Damon standing there. His face was all cut and I could see blood covering various parts of his body. He pulled his hand back out of the man who had tried to kill me taking his heart with it.

Before the man's body hit the floor Damon was standing in front of me, "Are you ok?"

I nodded at him and heard a scream come from behind me. I could feel my face change, my teeth change as well. Whereas before I had fought it, this time I revelled in it. I looked at Damon with a cold smile to match his then we turned and ran to the fight.

In the room where only a few hours ago I had sat and asked to stay here there seemed to be a war going on. Destroyed furniture lay everywhere, books all over the place and the window had been smashed. In the middle of the debris Stefan and Caroline where fighting against three attackers, one female and two male. There was a dead body on the ground. It took me a second to realise who they were, why they looked familiar. They were at my house, these were Klaus's hybrids. I didn't know what to do, Damon had jumped in with Stefan who had been fighting against the two male hybrids while Caroline battled the female.

I heard a scream as the female hybrid grabbed the fire poker and rammed it through Caroline who went down hard. The hybrid turned to me, I hadn't realised it was me that screamed until I was on top of the hybrid, trying to remember every self defence class that Eleanor had dragged me to over the last few years. I had the hybrid by the hair and dragged her away from Caroline who was trying to pull the poker from her chest. The hybrid turned on me, shouting and snapping her jaws. Using every ounce of strength I could muster into myself I flung her across the room. As she fell to the floor I could see the dent she left in the wall. Without pausing I was on top of her as she fought me off, copying what I saw Damon do, I dug my hand into her chest.

Her eyes bulged open as I wrapped my fingers around her beating heart, she started to shake her head at me but the anger had taken over me and I pulled her warm heart from her body. Caroline was by my side as I stood. I dropped the heart and then as one we both turned to the men in the room. There was only was hybrid left, he seemed to understand that he was out numbered in a big way and quickly grabbed a broken chair and shoved the leg into Stefan.

While Damon and Caroline ran to Stefan's side the hybrid tried to make a run for it. He should have gone through the window, but he ran out to the hall. He had to stop to pull the front door open and it was all the time I needed to catch up. He had the door open and was about to run out when I was behind him, my hand around his heart. Without blinking I pulled it from his body and held it. The hybrid stood for a few more seconds while his body processed the fact that the heart had been removed, and then he fell, first to his knees then forward to his face.

As he fell my eyes didn't follow him to the ground, as he fell I realised there was someone standing the other side of him, someone who was staring at me in shock. Without thinking I threw the heart I was still holding to the newcomer who instinctively reached out and caught it. I smiled, but it was a cold hard smile.

"Hello Nik."