Chapter 6: trapped

Unaware of her thoughts darkness took her to the hotel, he unlocked the door and showed her around "do you know how to cook?" He watched her stare blankly at the kitchen for a few short moments, he needed to know whether or not he needed to stock the fridge or the cupboards.
"No," she frowned at the question.
Verna hadn't seen an actual home in years, her fingers traced the cool metal of the stove affectionally. She remembered a time when her mother would cook, bake, sing, and dance. She remembered a time when they were happy.
It was all before , HE stepped into the picture. She was innocent, believed the lies he whispered. He managed to convince her that her parents were planning to kill her. He told her the only way to save herself was to kill them first. She was 4, a pink flowery dress hung over her small frame, a large knife clutched into her tiny hands. Verna held the handle tightly, like he had taught her, she crawled into her parents bed. Nice and slow. Her mother was first, she watched him slide his claw like nail across her jugular leaving a barely visible dotted line. Slow and precise she slit her mothers throat, his hands covered hers directing her movements. She didn't wake up, her eyes were closed in a peaceful death. Slight blood dropped from her would, falling down hypnotically. She turned her head to stare at her fathers sleeping figure, he was next, the main offender. He whispered in her ear to tell her that this one was going to be a painful death. She pressed the tip of the cool blade to his throat, this time he showed her to stab instead of cut. His eyes snapped open, he grabbed her wrist ripping the knife away and pushed her to the ground
He lets out a string of curses as she watches him with wide eyes. Afraid. Fear coursed through her veins.
Blink.
Her mother was awake and watching her with a horrified expression, her father held the same expression on his own face. Verna's eyes wandered down to see the sticky red substance cover her pink dress, her wrists had long shallow cuts in the shape of a cross. Their bed was covered in the same substance her dress was covered in.
"Monster,"her mother managed to get out, her father was already on he phone with the police screaming into the phone "Demon!" She screeched pointing an accusing finger at her daughter.
Realization had hit Verna, she had climbed into her parents bed only to cut herself and bleed all over them. The only thing she couldn't understand was why she didn't feel any pain. But one thing that she knew for sure was that that was the day the devil ruined her life.
The devil played her native 4 year old self like a fiddle.
She snapped from her memory as darkness was still explaining, he points to the door "there will be guards at your door so don't even think of escaping" he gives her an accusing look.
"Ah, your taking me back to the hospital aren't you?" Her voice was soft, she didn't dare to look out the window. She didn't want him to realize that if he said yes the moment he left she would throw herself from it.
"Maybe, it depends" he sighs and walks to the door, he spared her one last look before leaving and closing the door behind him. She heard a buzz and a lock click, she turned towards the bathroom not remembering the last time she had a proper shower. She turns the dial to hot, throwing off her dirty robe she steps into the shower. She cringed at the memory of Mitch giving her a sponge bath while she was heavily drugged, he didn't let a female nurse take care of her.
The water was scalding as she rubbed her skin raw with soap, she switched to her hair scrubbing out all the grime clinging to the pure white strands.
She finished after 20 minutes of sitting under the hot water she convinced herself to get out. Verna wrapped her body in a towel and dug through the clothes only finding large sweatpants and plain shirts, she pulled on the pants folding the top a few times until it didn't fall down her hips and threw on a shirt not caring the color.
She stopped by the kitchen her mind blanking, she could eat and then sleep or sleep and then eat. She hadn't eaten all day but she was exhausted.
Giving in Verna made herself a sandwich, she ate as much as she possibly could before washing the plate and heading to the bed. She climbed under the blankets and pressed her cheek to the pillows hoping the soft bedding would help her sleep. With that final thought she was out cold.