Chapter 1: Miranda.

Miranda.

Lynn Kellen did not know what to do anymore. She looked around at the bare white hospital walls around her and sighed. When had everything gone so wrong. Her husband was in the war, she had to work two jobs to pay the bills, and her only child was dying.

Lynn looked over to her 14 year old daughter asleep in the hospital bed. An IV was in her arm, and wires on her chest hooked to a machine beside the bed. The frightened mother watched the monitor for her daughter's heart beats.

Beep, Beep, --, Beep

Lynn winced as she saw the monitor skip a beat. Miranda had had this problem for three years now, and the doctors could not tell her what was wrong. The heartbeats were inconsistent, but the doctors could find nothing wrong. But less than a week ago, Miranda had had a heart attack. The doctors could not even explain why this happened. The blood had not clotted, but seemed to just stop.

Knock, Knock

Lynn jumped. She immediately raced to the door as not to disturb her daughter's sleep. When she opened the door, an American soldier stood there with a letter in his hands. Eyes wide, she took the letter and closed the door.

She opened the letter, and had only to read the first sentence;

Dear Mrs. Kellen,

We regret to inform you that your husband has been killed in action.

Lynn fell into the chair beside the bed and wept.

"Not this," she thought, "Anything but this."

She started when she felt a hand on her arm. She looked up to see her daughter's hazel eyes looking deep into her blue ones.

"What is it mom?" She asked in a trembling voice.

Lynn hesitated.

"Mom."

"Honey, I think that you should read this."

Miranda took the letter from her mother's hand, and read the first sentence.

"No," she whispered, and then louder, screamed, "Nooo!"

The doctor came in when he heard the commotion. What he saw was a mother and daughter in each other's arms, weeping their eyes out. He looked over to the monitor by the bed, and gasped. Miranda's heartbeat was going too fast!

He ran over to try and stop it, but he was too late. Miranda had fainted, and Lynn went into shock.