Chapter 18: New Beginnings.

New Beginnings.

Lynn looked up as she heard a door at the end of the corridor shut, and saw the doctor come down the hospital hall towards her. She immediately hopped out of her chair.

"Anything?" she asked.

"Mrs. Kellen," Dr. Alex Roberts began, "There is nothing more that I can do for Miranda. This disease,.. this heart problem,... it's something that I can't fix. She is finally responding, but Mrs. Kellen, if this continues to go on, I'm afraid that there will be no hope for her recovery."

"You mean..." Lynn looked up at the doctor fearfully.

"If something isn't done soon... she's not going to make it."

Lynn could feel the tears begin pouring down her cheeks.

"Why Miranda dear Lord? Why her?"

"The only thing else that I can do is recommend you to another doctor."

Lynn didn't care if it took twenty doctors. Just... to help her daughter..

"Who?"

"Dr. Rodney Johnson. He is a professional cardiologist. Well known throughout our hospital. But unfortunately, he was sent as a medical doctor in the war."

"Then how does that help us?" Lynn questioned stonily.

"If you can find some way to get to England..."

"England? We hardly have enough money to pay the bills on the small house we live in. We can't pay our way to England."

"Please Mrs. Kellen. Just hear me out."

Lynn, shoulders shaking and knees trembling, nodded her head and sat back down.

"If you can sell your house, sell some of the furniture that isn't needed, jewelry, books, anything. Whatever else you need, this hospital will provide. We would simply be transporting your daughter from one doctor to another. From one hospital to another. It just so happens that these doctors and hospitals are across an ocean."

His slight stab at some humor in the dark light brought a small smile to Lynn's face. Goodness knows she needed some hope and laughter right now.

"Is he the only person you can recommend?" Lynn asked, just to be sure.

"I'm afraid so. There are many other cardiologists out there, but he is the only one I believe can help you, and the only one that I truly trust."

Lynn nodded her head. This was going to be a big step. She would have to call up friends, family, and the church for as much help as she could get. But she was not going to lose her daughter without a fight.

"I would appreciate if you would call Dr. Johnson and let him know that he is going to have a new patient."

Dr. Alex gave a relieved smile.

"I'll be sure to do that."

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Miranda's hand clenched around the sword necklace in her hand. Thank goodness they hadn't taken it from her. She didn't know how she would have explained it to her mom. Slowly, she placed the necklace back inside her hospital clothes, relishing in the feel of the leather against her neck.

She heard the door to her room being opened and quickly put her hand to her side, away from her neck. Her mother entered the room.

"Hey hon. How are you feeling?"