Chapter 21: Christmas Tidings.

Christmas Tidings.

Susan checked on her hair and make-up one last time before turning around and flying down the stairs. Father stood in the open doorway, shivering.

"It's about time," he teased. "I thought that you had gotten lost or something." He kissed her on the forehead and whispered, "You look wonderful."

Susan felt like the world could collapse and she would be just fine after hearing her father say that. It always felt good to have his compliments. She raced through the falling snow and squeezed in with her brothers and sisters into the vehicle, and they headed for the Christmas Eve service.

When they arrived, they met up with Miranda and her mother, and the 8 people entered the church. They took up a whole pew themselves, and sat down for the service. They sang songs like "Joy to the World", and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing." The pastor then stood up and gave the Christmas story, how the baby Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, and of the star in the sky. But after he told the story, he began to talk about Easter.

"Easter!" Susan thought. "What does Easter have to do with Christmas?"

He continued to tell them about how Jesus was sent down to earth to die and save the world.

"God sent his only Son, Jesus, down to earth when we had gone to our lowest. He sent him not to live, but to die in our place. Us, who are liars, murderers, traitors, thieves, and like filthy rags in his sight. Jesus died to save us from the penalty of eternal separation from him; from eternal punishment in the pit of hell."

Susan heard a sob beside her. She turned to her left, and was surprised to see that there were tears streaking down Edmund's face. He was close to breaking down. She looked past him to Lucy; who's eyes were lifted up with joy, and a smile lit her face. She turned to Peter. He too had tears in his eyes, silently rushing down his face. But a regal smile lit up his face that she had not seen in years.

Susan's brow knotted in confusion.

"What's wrong with them?"

She looked past Peter and her parents to see if this had any effect on Miranda at all. Miranda's eyes were closed, and her lips were moving as if in prayer. Susan looked down at Miranda's hands. They were clasped close together.

"I know that this has not been a normal Christmas Eve service," the pastor said.

"You got that right," Susan thought. "Now everyone's acting strange."

"I would now like to give an open invitation. If there are any here that have not accepted the truth, have not confessed their sin, and who would like a new beginning, please come forward as the congregation sings "Amazing Grace"."

Susan stood with the rest of her family, and was surprised to see Peter leave the pew beside her. She ignored it, until she heard:

"Excuse us Su."

Susan turned to both Edmund and Lucy, trying to get out of the pew. She raised her eyebrows, but let them pass, figuring her parents would stop them. But to her surprise, they let them right through. Just before Lucy left the pew, she gave Miranda a big hug. Susan caught sight of tears in Miranda's eyes.

The three went forward, and the congregation sang. Susan turned her head one last time to Miranda. Her eyes were closed again, and she had both hands raised and a smile on her lips as she sang the words to the song.

After the song ended, the service was done, and the three others came back to the pew. Edmund, Peter, and Lucy were crying and laughing, and all three gave Miranda one large hug, so that she completely disappeared in the midst of them.