Chapter 15: Deadly Choice.

Deadly Choice.

Caspian felt the anger rise within him as he saw the bruised and broken form of Miranda. The soldier grabbed a handful of her hair and pulled her upright.

"Uugh," she groaned.

She was not tied or seriously wounded, which confused Caspian for a second. Until another look at her revealed her arms and legs bleeding badly.

"You beasts!" he shouted at Lord Sopespian, and would have gone charging in if the strong hands of Edmund and Peter had not held him back.

"Calm down Caspian," Edmund said softly. "Attacking will do her no good."

"They've shredded her!" Caspian exclaimed, still pulling away.

"What?" Peter questioned, his eyes wide.

"They've shredded her," Caspian said again, pointing to her arms and legs.

Peter looked up coldly at Sopespian.

"Yes," Sopespian said, no remorse in his voice. "The worst form of torture we have. We dig our swords into the arms and legs of our enemies. That might not be so bad... if the armor was not on. The broken armor then digs into the skin, and causes the wounds to be unable to heal on their own. It also causes the enemies limbs to go numb with pain, and soon, it is unable to even move."

Peter's face went white with rage, and Caspian knew that only the fact that Susan's hand was pressed firmly against his shoulder reminded him that it would be impossible to help her if he attacked.

"Now, High King, you have a choice to make. Either you give us the life of Caspian, or, you face her death."

As the last words left his lips, the soldier pulled a knife out of his belt and held it over Miranda's chest.

Caspian looked to Peter, but Peter's eyes refused to meet his. He only looked at Miranda.

"I'll do it Peter," Caspian whispered.

"No," Edmund protested. "It's for you that we have been fighting this battle. Aslan has chosen you as the next King of Narnia, and it is your responsibility to remain alive to fulfill that duty."

"I won't just let her die like that," Caspian said fervently, looking down at Edmund. "And shouldn't this be my decision?"

"No, it's not your decision," Edmund said, his voice changing. "She knew what she was getting into when she took that oath. Aslan has chosen this path for her, and she has followed as faithfully as she could. Don't destroy that."

Caspian didn't say anything after that. No one did. They all knew that it was Peter's decision. But his eyes never left Miranda's. The two just stared at each other. Only one movement was made, and that was Miranda shaking her head; no.

Then, quite suddenly, Peter shouted.

"No!"

Tears began to stream down his face as he said;

"The answer is no."

Sopespian's face suddenly went pale.

"What?"

That was when a new sound was heard. Laughing.

Miranda was laughing. It was not a bitter laugh or a forced laugh, but it was a laugh of....joy. She was laughing with joy!

"You heard him right Sopespian!" she exclaimed, a broad smile on her face. "He said no; and you have failed! King Caspian still lives, and your bait is useless! He shall sit on the throne as next King of Narnia, under the authority of Aslan! And there is not one thing that you can do against that!"