Chapter 16: Memories and a Coronation.

Memories and a Coronation.

It was early evening when the six young people grouped together. They had all changed out of their armor into some new clothing, and had all gotten a warm meal in their bellies.

Now, all six of them sat in a round circle around a blazing fire, relaying adventures and putting missing pieces together.

After all stories were told and adventures understood, Caspian looked in wonder at the group around him. To his right was King Peter, golden hair and blue eyes shining, and he looked truly happy for the first time. Miranda was beside him, looking relaxed and calm, something she had yet to be since he met her. Edmund followed, with wide brown eyes and dark hair, laughing at a joke his sister made. Lucy was next, her heart showing in her face, full of wonder and joy. Susan was last, tired but with much gladness within her.

They had come so close to dying that day. Every one of them.

Peter had almost been killed by Miraz. Susan had nearly been taken by a Telmarine soldier. Edmund had run headlong into battle time after time. Lucy had almost not made it to Aslan because of soldiers chasing her. Miranda had been tortured and nearly killed. Caspian himself had almost died at the hand of General Glozelle.

But they all sat there, together, as a family; almost as if the events that day had never happened. They laughed and they joked, and for the first time in a long while, Caspian acted like a kid.

Then, Lucy surprised everyone by pulling something from a bag by her side.

"Why!" Edmund exclaimed. "By the mane! Isn't that Mr. Tumnus' flute."

The other's sat up a little straighter and pulled a little closer.

"Yes," Lucy whispered fondly. "I found it among my things at Cair Paravel."

She then handed the flute to Miranda. Miranda looked surprised for a moment, then slowly took the precious flute.

"Do you remember Miranda?"

"How could I even try to forget? It was a flute that I first picked up in Narnia."

"Play something Miranda. Please," Lucy begged.

Miranda gave a loud laugh.

"Command me Valiant Queen. I am at your service."

Lucy looked up at the Narnian stars for a moment before answering.

"Play the lullaby."

Miranda put the flute to her lips, and began to play a mysterious, magical song. Caspian suddenly felt a soft warmth grow in him. As the song wove it's spell, he felt a small poke at his arm, and turned to Susan, who was pointing at the fire.

Caspian's eyes went wide. Within the dancing flames was a great battle. A storm of swords and armor. A tall woman took shape, and the flames gave off a slight chill. A great wand was in her hand, and she began extinguishing flames. Suddenly, another flame figure stepped forward. It was much smaller than the woman, but within seconds, it broke the great wand she held. The woman flame cast an arm towards the smaller flame, and it fell to the floor wounded. Two more flames suddenly took shape. One ran towards the tall woman, a sword raised. The other stooped at the fallen flame, small orange flickers running down it's face. The second flame then stood up and charged the great tall one. The tall woman turned and wounded the two weaker flames. But it was not yet over. All at once, the biggest flame suddenly erupted and extinguished the tall woman.

With that, the song ended, and the flames went back to being fire once more. Miranda took the flute from her lips and began panting.

"It has never done that before," Miranda said in between deep breaths. "I've never had the flames dance for me before."